Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MisterFix
Binge Watcher

Re: Update making colors appear too red, too rich

Jump to solution

More info

Model 4800X -Roku Ultra

Software version 12.0.0 build 4184-C2

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Ken996 @MisterFix,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding this issue here in the Roku Community!

Would you mind giving us details as to what @RokuTakashi mentioned above? The appropriate Roku team will only be able to investigate the issue further with more information.

We look forward to hearing your response and receiving your device details.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DCC29

Jump to solution

You seem to want the end users to resolve the issues for you which they largely have. In terms of examples they are littered all over this forum and the Web. My fix was to buy Apple TV and tada..... no saturation issues. 

chroma601
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I solved the issue by purchasing an Nvidia Shield Pro. Not only does it properly recognize bt2020 and bt709 color spaces, but it also adds uncompressed Dolby Atmos and DTS-X!

MisterFix
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The Shield also costs twice the price of the Roku Ultra.

I've worked around the issue mostly by following these steps:

• Pause the video
  • Use arrow buttons to get to the 3-dot icon button. (Bottom-right corner). Press OK
  • Playback Options >
  • Change "Direct Play" to Disable
  • Uncheck "Allow Direct Stream"

These steps work a lot of the time but it's still not consistent. If I add subtitle the problem comes back. I don't really want to modify my mkv files just because of this one device.

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I don't have this issue anymore because firstly, I've been pretty good about making sure that everything I have direct plays...If I see red, I have this nifty tool that can mass remove the color properties in seconds in MKV's.... If not for this tool...this would have been a total pain in the A. It's called Entran Recompressor. 

I still can NOT believe they have not fixed this though. 

I think I've got 99%.. but I've got so much stuff and I watched something the other day that was red. I quickly got the tool...removed the color... no longer red..

There were a few instances where I had some series with the audio that was transcoded...I re-encoded the audio ONLY in those files (at a high bitrate) so that the audio would direct play.

For Plex, ROKU ultra is my favorite and since I use Plex 99% of the time it's important that I fixed this.

tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My Roku got upgraded to 12.5.0 recently and I can confirm that the issue hasn't been resolved for me.

I really wish Roku would at least respond publicly and maybe even give a timeline for fixing this bug. It's REALLY annoying.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I have 12.5 on my Ultra 4800, connected to a DV capable display. I don't see any red push on mine, either from my local ripped content or from online services. Do you have a specific service/title that displays this that I could look at?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I've posted pictures before and sent a file to Roku support.

You should be able to recreate this by taking an MKV file and adding a Video: Transfer characteristics flag with a value of 1. That denotes a colour space of ITU-R BT.709 which is what the video is but it's being played back as a different colour space (probably 2020).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Well, I have MKV files with both 709 and 2020 color spaces. I'll try to remember to make some comparisons this weekend. I have to pick someone up at the airport this evening, so won't have time tonight to give it a try. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos