Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olddrache
Channel Surfer

Re: Update making colors appear too red, too rich

Jump to solution

Instead of deleting posts mods, how about posting an update on this issue instead of continuing to ignore it.  The more and more providers start to use HEVC, the more of a problem this will become.

spoole100
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuCarly

@RokuJohnB 

@RokuTakashi

Please remove the solved tag from this thread.  This issue is absolutely not solved.

BLDTruth78

Jump to solution

I was having the red color issues with random X265 encoded MKV's with BT709 color space, and it seems that OS 13 has fixed this issue for me - I use Plex Media server to serve a 4800X connected to a plasma TV and two TCL Roku TVs.

Previously I would have to remux into an mp4 container and force direct play on my Roku 4800X in order to remove the issue.  Force direct play with the mkv would get rid of the red, but would then cause a stuttering issue.  MP4 container was the only way.

I never had the red color issue at all on either of my 55" TCL 6 series 4K HDR Roku TVs - only the 4800x connected to my old plasma screen.

Hoping that OS13 is the answer - took awhile to get there but so far everything in my library is playing back correctly now.

0 Kudos
spoole100
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@BLDTruth78 

I am seeing the same thing on my Ultra 4800x.  Both Plex and the Roku Media Player are no longer distorting colors.  It appears to me that OS 13 did finally solve this 3+ year issue.  Can others chime in and verify we actually have a fix?

Olddrache
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just checked a few of my Rokus and OS13 update finally fixed a 2+ year issue.  Just irritating I already replaced half my ROKUs with Firesticks already.  ROKU's loss.  Once the remaining break, will be the end of using ROKU. 

Better late then never but lets be honest, it should not take that long to fix an issue.

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It shouldn't take multiple years to fix an issue like this, you can tell it was not a top priority for Roku. We know what their priorities are, ad revenue, ad revenue and more ad revenue! Something like this should have been fixed within a few weeks of being reported at the longest, not two or three years. Absolutely ridiculous! So it's hard to applaud Roku for this fix when it's so very late.

gentleman23
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

OS 13 just arrived on my Roku Stick and the colors now appear correct when directly playing the previously affected files. Hooray!

@BLDTruth78 I wonder if the issue you had with stuttering is the known problem affecting the 4800x trying to direct play a libmatroska-authored MKV (e.g. one made with MKVToolNix) containing DTS audio. The linked thread contains some false speculation about MKV tags being the issue. Tags are not the problem, though. A workaround is to remux the MKV with FFmpeg.

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I remember having the AAC audio stutter a few years ago... it was more like frequent audio dropouts with anything AAC.... So there in Plex settings on the Roku Ultra there is an AAC audio stutter workaround you can enable which will cause files with AAC audio to direct stream instead of direct play......however, I haven't ran into that issue in forever... maybe even before the HEVC red issue started...so I've left that unchecked... I have many AAC audio files that don't stutter anymore......

I'm glad the red issue is fixed. Hopefully no other issues will pop up...

chroma601
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This is good news, but I am enjoying TrueHD Atmos on my Shield Pro, and haven't had to mess with TV menus in some time!

0 Kudos
tomcat335
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I agree that it seems to be fixed now. I really wish that we could get some sort of official confirmation (release notes maybe??) that it was fixed. 

I also wish it hadn't taken so long and that there had been some communication from the Roku team (not volunteers).

I still can't recommend a Roku to my friends and family due to the poor support even if the hardware is pretty good.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.