Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spoole100
Binge Watcher

Re: Update making colors appear too red, too rich

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

Download link to get 3 files here:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj5keVNcvYtwmQPVobUFinyd6nHZ?e=kcIAGf

2 MKVs and an MP4 of the same video.  Put them on a flash drive and plug them into your roku ultra.  Play them with the built-in Roku media player.  The mkv with the bt.709 flag set (Bonfire-bt709.mkv) will display the crushed colors.  The other 2 will not.

Results.png 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@spoole100 thank you so much for those! I can now see the red push you are referring to. It wasn't as pronounced as I was expecting, but the snow absolutely has a pink hue that the one lacking the flag did not display. I will absolutely report this through the beta reporting system. If I can upload your zip file I'll attach it to my report, but if they can't is it OK if I give them the download link you provided to me?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
spoole100
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

That download link has been valid for a while as I have reported this to Roku before.  But yes you can give them the download link if they can't accept a zip file.

Be sure to specify they need to use a non-hdr capable display when testing.

If you are reporting this with Beta software maybe you can get some movement on the issue.  By using the built-in Roku media player it proves the issue is not with Plex or Emby or Jellyfin but with the Roku itself.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@spoole100 thank you. Although I do see the red push on my display, which does support HDR/HLG/DV. Perhaps that's why it wasn't as pronounced as I was expecting. But it's there, nonetheless. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I have filed the bug report and included the files with the report. It's usually a week or so before anyone acknowledges a new post, and since they don't seem to be actively working on the next public beta version yet I can't say how long it might be before I hear anything one way or another. 

Dan

0 Kudos
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No offence but I'm not gonna hold my breath. They've had reports for years and multiple people have sent them clips before and offered to help them. To my knowledge (from people posting here) not once has an engineer reached out to a customer to help them reproduce the problem. To me that says they either have reproduced and don't care enough to fix it (as a company priority) or they don't care enough to try to reproduce it.

I spoke to a tech support agent (probably 2nd or 3rd tier) in North America about it, sent him the files and have heard nothing since (it's been at least 6 months).

I've been telling people to get AppleTVs instead of Rokus since then since doesn't seem to care enough about their customers to comment directly on this either personally or online (they have my info and could've called or emailed me).

nyc_derek
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the similar issue. However, my Roku (4802RW, 12.5.5 build 4174-C2) is attached to a Dolby Vision HDR capable display (TCL 50S546). I have the Roku setup to not have Dolby Vision always on.

When playing an 8-bit SDR h265 mkv, my TV shows that it's receiving an HDR10 signal from the Roku. The resultant video displayed is very oversaturated, not just the reds. The entire image is oversaturated and too contrasty. The same video encoded as an 8-bit SDR h264 mkv displays correctly. Examples of both below.

8-bit SDR h265 mkv8-bit SDR h265 mkv8-bit SDR h264 mkv8-bit SDR h264 mkv

This occurs when playing the video directly from a USB drive in Roku Media Player as well as Plex.

GC version: 10.6.34

Issue ID: SX-053-381

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @nyc_derek!

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention and we'd be more than happy to find you the best resolution for the display issues you've observed.

In this case, we will coordinate this with our relevant team for further review and we appreciate the complete details you've provided. Once we've been notified of updates from the team, we will make sure to post them here.

In the meantime, we request your patience as we work on this and if there's anything else we can be of assistance with, we'd be more than happy to continue doing so.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Squadri2328
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same problem. I have tried numerous apps to test. I even tried apps native on my TV and those same apps work correct and there is no color change. Is the software on the Roku 4800x working right? Mine shows it has build 12.5.5.4174.

I have completed a factory reset, unplugging for 10 minutes, and full disconnection from power/tv/internet. Nothing worked  

Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Squadri2328!

It is highly appreciated that you've brought this to our attention and we've been more than happy to review this as well.

Before we proceed, can you please confirm on what specific app you've observed this? Is this happening on the Roku Media Player and the Plex app as well? If so, kindly provide us with the following details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, and device ID. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • A photo of the difference would be a big help. 

We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos