Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffOnWire
Channel Surfer

The Word "DEMO" Appears in Closed Captions

• PSX_20231207_201437.jpg

The word "DEMO" shows up all over in the closed captions for this TV show "Orphan Black". Started with Season 4. We watch by going to the Roku app where it appears as an AMC+ product? We've reset the Roku player a couple of times and have toggled captions on and off a few times. Super annoying. It happens in every single sentence. Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
denhow
Roku Guru

Re: The Word "DEMO" Appears in Closed Captions

That looks like a mistake by the captions provider, maybe a search-and-replace gone wrong!

This will probably not be helpful, but the first thing I would try is to press the * key and then go to 'Accessibility & language' > 'Captioning track' and then look to see if there's a second English language captions track. There probably won't be one but sometimes there is an alternative track available.

BDMBPM

I have the same problem.  Have tried resetting the entire roku player everyday.  Same time period as you. Season 4.  I am having a hard time understanding some of the dialogue.  I tried the closed caption setting of playback only and found the same problem.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Welcome, and thanks for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your sharing your experience about this close captioning issue. We'll forward this to the right team for further review.

We'll make sure to update this thread once we have information available.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JeffVanEpps
Binge Watcher

I saw that a few years ago, I don't recall what show or platform, but I do recall finding that it came from a demo copy of a certain captioning tool. So it came from the content provider and there was nothing the streaming service could do about it - except lean on the content provider. Obviously whoever generated the captions never bothered to actually look at them (and in my opinion should be fired - captions aren't "nice to have", they are essential).

JeffOnWire
Channel Surfer

And today I'm watching "Annihilation" on Paramount+ through the Roku channel and the captions are appearing 3-4 seconds before the actual speech which is weirdly unnerving. Tried a full reset on the Roku box but it doesn't help.

DEMO finally stopped showing up in "Orphan Black" a few episodes in.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We appreciate all the updates, @JeffOnWire.

No worries, we have already let our appropriate team know about this. We'll surely let you know once we have information to impart.

Please continue to keep us posted if you have other issues you'd like us to address.

Thanks,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JeffVanEpps
Binge Watcher

I found it in my gmail. The show was Eureka, apparently only S3E1, and it was on the Roku Channel. The year was 2021. Roku support request 4057494. The caption maker software used was https://www.telestream.net/captioning/demo-instructions.htm

A support rep was able to reproduce the issue, though it took days of nagging to get one to even attempt it. Until then all I got was the general "turn CC off and back on", "remove/add the channel", etc. stuff they tell you when they don't want to be bothered.

I do not know how, or if, Roku ever addressed it with the content provider.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JeffOnWire,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We are doing our best to get back to you as soon as possible. As of the moment, our team is still investigating this issue. We'll be sure to update you on this thread once feedback is available.
Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.