Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wordup

Sound cutting out

Jump to solution

Roku Ultra. Every few minutes, the sound is completely muted for about 2 seconds. 

It's very annoying and frustrating. How can this be fixed?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Sound cutting out periodically

Jump to solution

Hey Community,

We will be locking this thread because of its outdated status. If you still have issues related to this thread, please look through the Community for another thread that addresses the same problem. If there aren't any existing threads, you are more than welcome to create a new one.

When creating a new thread, please make sure to provide the following details:

1. Error Codes or Messages: Have you received any error codes or messages related to the audio issue? If yes, please share them with us.

2. Channel Specificity: Does the problem occur only on a particular channel, or is it affecting all channels installed on your device?

3. A/V Setup: Are you using an A/V receiver or a soundbar with your TV/Roku player setup? If so, could you provide the make and model of that unit?

4. Audio Settings: In Settings > Audio > Audio mode, what setting is currently selected? Have you tried changing the setting to Stereo or another option? If so, does the issue persist?

If you notice the sound from your Roku® Streambar® SE, Roku Streambar, Roku Streambar Pro, or Roku Smart Soundbar does not match the picture on your TV, you have likely encountered something called an audio/video synchronization error, or A/V sync error. You can find troubleshooting steps for this issue in this Support article: How to fix audio and video sync issues with a Roku Streambar or Roku smart soundbar | Official Roku ...

Additionally, if the audio problem is isolated to a single channel, removing and re-adding the channel may help resolve the issue. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this in our Support article: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Note: We'll mark this post as solved for visibility and as a reference for other users.

Your feedback will greatly assist us in diagnosing and resolving the audio sync issue. Thank you for your cooperation, and we're here to provide further assistance as needed!

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Sound cutting out

Jump to solution

Same issue here for several days.  Played with the settings, restarted, etc and it continues.  Had this issue before a year or so ago, which was finally fixed.  

0 Kudos
Joe1977
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have been having the same issue since I got my Roku Ultra. The sound cuts out for about 3 seconds every few minutes 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Joe1977

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're running into? Does it only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? 

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Joe1977 wrote:

I have been having the same issue since I got my Roku Ultra. The sound cuts out for about 3 seconds every few minutes 

If you have the 4800 (2020 Ultra), try changing your audio output:  Settings/Audio/HDMI=Auto passthrough

Joe1977
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! That seems to have worked!

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Good to hear (pun intended) - Roku made very poor decisions for its default settings for the 4800: 

In order to promote their "new" Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos capabilities they made "HDR Always on" the default which forces DV always on for supported systems, and then they made "Auto detect" (which should be named "Auto convert" or "Auto transcode") the default which forces DA always on for supported systems.

To be fair to Roku, all their competitors did/do the same with their devices with similar capabilities, and for the same braindead "lets market to the already sold!" reasons.

In the end it creates confusion, frustration, and issues for consumers who reasonably think something is wrong with their HT setup, not realizing in fact its poorly chosen default settings in their new device.

bytor72

Re: Sound cutting out Nothing Fixes

Jump to solution

Changing the audio to pass through did not resolve for me. The issue with sound cutting out for a couple seconds still occurs.
I've done everything I can think of to resolve. I've set to factory and reinstalled apps. I've then done system restart. I can't seem to get this issue resolved and Roku CS hasn't helped. Was just chatting with them and the guy disconnected me. Tried to reconnect and they are closed.
Really don't know what to do at this point.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Sound cutting out Nothing Fixes

Jump to solution

@bytor72

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

It looks like our Support team reached out to you to assist further. We would recommend continuing to work with them as they would best be able to help you moving forward.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Soundcuttingout
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound cutting out all the time

Jump to solution

I’m going to throw this Roku stick out the window. The sound is always cutting out. All apps at different times. Had a Rolu before the stick and it never happened. I’m done with it