Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beezleb
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra HDCP Errors and Resolution Problems (4802 vs. 4670)

@mikew_nt Is this with any changes to anything like disabling sleep or changing anything in the secret HDMI menu like automatic recovery?  I have not changed anything and still get the HDCP error, so I'm going to try disabling automatic recovery next.

0 Kudos
mikew_nt
Streaming Star

Nope, I've not messed with any secret settings or anything, the sleep thing remains mysterious and seems to work backward.  I couldn't even tell you what it's set on, except I've not changed it between 12.5.5 and 13, and the HDCP errors haven't shown up (yet).

If we need to be changing anything detailed, it should really be Roku figuring it out and giving us workarounds. 

This constant debugging and experimenting on a problem that has been around since 2022 is just absurd.  Roku could send ME an HDMI analyzer and I could probably figure it out and determine the issue faster than they seem to care to do.

warthog
Channel Surfer

Post 13 update, errrr, update - 

Immediately had intermittent sound issue. Workaround on that still works - play in headphone mode through the Roku app on my phone for 30s or so then swap back to TV sound.

Inside the first 60m of watching I had already encountered the splash screen HDCP error that then resolved itself twice. Later, I got an unrecoverable HDCP error. I was furious - unplugged and have yet to plug back in.

Very frustrated with the lack of response from Roku. 

beezleb
Binge Watcher

Disabling automatic recovery in the hidden HDMI menu alone didn't fix anything for me.  Already got HDCP error.  Going to try disabling auto power savings next.

beezleb
Binge Watcher

Well none of the HDMI Secret Screen settings made any difference for me.  Still getting HDCP error. 

By the way, here is what is reported by Roku in that screen when the error happens:

MFG: @@@ PRDCT: 0 SN: 0 NAME: NO EDID TV
Supports 4K@60Hz: No
Supports 4K@30Hz: No
Supports 1080p: No 1080i: No
Supports 720p: Yes
Supports 10-bit: YCC420: No YCC444: No
Supports 4KHDR: 60: No 30: No
HDCP Status: Unauthenticated
HDCP Version: UNKNOWN

Compared to what it reports when things are working:

MFG: SAM PRDCT: 29503 SN: <hidden by me> NAME: QCQ90S
Supports 4K@60Hz: Yes
Supports 4K@30Hz: Yes
Supports 1080p: Yes 1080i: Yes
Supports 720p: Yes
Supports 10-bit: YCC420: Yes YCC444: Yes
Supports 4KHDR: 60: Yes 30: Yes

HDCP Status: Authenticated
HDCP Version: 2.2

beezleb
Binge Watcher

I'm curious if everyone who is consistently having the issue is using arc/earc also. It seems like the Roku is ok when my tv first turns on. When my Denon AVR turns on, the Roku video blanks out and then returns and the hdcp error starts and 720p video instead of 4k.

beezleb
Binge Watcher

No HDCP error for a few days since running Roku to AVR and not using eARC (but I lose HDR10+ on my older AVR this way).  It seems like Roku doesn't handle the handshake with arc/earc correctly.

In the meantime I was able to get an Apple TV 4k on sale recently and haven't had a single HDCP error with eARC.  I still prefer the Roku remote but I am out of ideas on how to solve the issue.

Poe3681
Binge Watcher

I don't think it is solvable. I believe it is a fundamental issue with the 4802 hardware - the complete lack of support, troubleshooting or feedback from Roku pretty much confirms it.

I've given up - every other device works without issue - its only the 4802 that has the problem. 

mikew_nt
Streaming Star

Yep @Poe3681 it's looking pretty conclusive that Roku cannot fix this.

They should really give us all refunds.  My $20 onn 4K (2023) is working very nicely.  I might as well just switch completely over to that and have Roku pay me back the $102.95 I spent on the 4802.

Well @RokuJanadeeK , how about it?  Is Roku going to fix this, or finally admit that they can't fix it and give us refunds?

0 Kudos
Poe3681
Binge Watcher

@mikew_nt 

I laid out the probably scenarios back at the end of March.  That they haven't even acknowledged those conclusions in over 8 weeks tells you everything you need to know. An absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but the continued silence does tend to speak volumes.

I get their position though. If Roku came out and said 'yeah, we have an issue with this device', you know there would be 100 ambulance-chaser types filing class actions looking for refunds, compensation or some other  piece of the pie...so they're not going to 'fess up. The number of affected users is too small, the exposure risk too large. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.