Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markus99
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra Freezing After Bouncing Logo

Have owned a 2019 Roku Ultra and it's worked fairly flawlessly (minus the late October '22 firmware / audio update issue[s]).  

Starting two days ago, the unit is not outputting video.  I've restarted it, the bouncing logos are visible, but then the picture completely is lost (TV saying no input signal) as soon as the logos bounce for a few seconds.

I've tried different HDMI cables, a different TV, power cycling (plug out for over an hour).  Nothing has worked.

I also, thinking this 2019 unit finally died, just purchased a BRAND NEW 2022 Roku Ultra off of Amazon, which arrived today.  To my surprise, EXACT SAME ISSUE.

The 2019 was hard-wired into my network, as was the 2022 upon install.  The 2022 let me pair the remote, select a language, but as soon as it connected to the network - the video signal was lost.

In an effort to rule out my ad blocker, network issue(s), etc. - I also tried (after a hard reset [holding bottom button for >30 seconds]) to connect to my phone's hotspot wirelessly - but the same issue results - frozen immediately after connecting to the network.  I have hard-reset this new '22 unit multiple times with multiple combinations of wired, wifi, hotspot wifi, hdmi cables, tvs, etc.  Each having the same result - No Signal to the TV.

My assumption is now something is amiss on Roku's end that's essentially 'bricking' the units.  

Anyone else seen this issue, or Roku Support, have a thought?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra Freezing After Bouncing Logo

Hi @Markus99

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We recommend unplugging/powering down your wireless router and then booting your Roku device up to see if you get past the bouncing Roku logo. If so, try then plugging back up your wireless network. Make sure to troubleshoot in this order, and then let us know if there's any difference afterward.

If the issue remains unresolved, can you please provide your Roku device's serial number? Its serial number or device ID is printed on the bottom or back of the product.

Keep us posted. We'll be able to assist you further from there.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Markus99
Channel Surfer

Thx for the response.

As mentioned, I tried using my phone as a Wifi Hotspot to bypass my entire home network - and it resulted in the same freezing / no signal issue. 

The serial number of the NEW Roku Ultra '22 that I just purchased: S0DA229VGGSV (2nd character could be the letter O, but believe it's the number 0).

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Markus99 

Thank you for following up. 

We appreciate the additional details provided. I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
jfautch
Reel Rookie

@RokuNimfa-C  Hi I have just experienced the exact same issues with my Roku Ultra.  I disconnected the wifi (and the hardwire) and continued to have the same problem.  My Model: 4670X  and SN: KW99A7371936.  Is there anything else I should try?  Thanks John

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jfautch,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about this issue. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. How are you powering your Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?
  2. Have you already tried performing a factory reset on the device to see if you can get past the bouncing Roku logo screen? For more information about how to factory reset your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support
  3. Have you tried disconnecting your wireless network, then rebooting your Roku device to see if your Roku device is experiencing the same issue? Once the device is getting past the bouncing logo screen, try reconnecting your wireless network.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your needs. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
jfautch
Reel Rookie

See my answers below

1. How are you powering your Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet? [Wall outlet with the original power adapter]
  2. Have you already tried performing a factory reset on the device to see if you can get past the bouncing Roku logo screen? For more information about how to factory reset your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support  [Yes, I tried both unplugging the power, waiting 10 seconds, plugging in and using the physical reset button on the bottom of the device. Both produced the same result - a start of the reset (bouncing logo) then an abrupt stop]
  3. Have you tried disconnecting your wireless network, then rebooting your Roku device to see if your Roku device is experiencing the same issue? Once the device is getting past the bouncing logo screen, try reconnecting your wireless network. [Yes, I both disconnected the ethernet cable and turned off the wifi

Hope this is helpful

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jfautch,

Thanks for providing all the information we requested and we're sorry for the inconvenience.

In regards to your issue with your Roku device that is stuck in the bouncing logo, we're going to assign a member of our support team to reach out to you via email. They will be assisting you from thereon.

We appreciate you again posting in Roku Community.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
MWeb
Reel Rookie

Roku is stuck on bouncing symbol, tried multiple times to hard reset and power cycle to no avail. 

X0160074LW2W

Unit is defective and needs replacing under warranty!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@MWeb, this thread is about the Ultra which uses its own power adapter.  If you're using the TV's USB port for power try the supplied power adapter or another one from a phone or tablet.  You can start a warranty replacement at:

Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos