Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express 4k will not boot

@Rokaty, do you have another TV that you can try it on?  Blue screens are often an indication of some kind of HDMI issue.  If you have a power adapter/charger from a phone or tablet that can supply at least 1 Amp you might want to give it a try.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Rokaty
Reel Rookie

We don't have another TV to try the Roku device on unfortunately, but other HDMI devices work fine plugged into the TV such as the old PS3. The TV works fine if we duplicate our laptop screen on the TV via HDMI as well. Not had a blue screen issue with any other HDMI devices.

I'm not sure I fully understand the second suggestion - do you mean use a different power supply into the Roku instead of using the one it originally came with?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Rokaty wrote:

I'm not sure I fully understand the second suggestion - do you mean use a different power supply into the Roku instead of using the one it originally came with?

Yes.  Any one of those little blocks that plugs into the wall like a charger for a phone or tablet is a viable option if the fine print reads something like 5V 1A (5 Volts, 1 Amp).  It's the 1A part that's important as they're all pretty much 5 Volts.  Anything that's 1 Amp or more should work.  I admit it's kind of grasping at straws.  Using a different USB cable is another straw. 🙂

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Rokaty
Reel Rookie

Hi, thanks for the suggestions @renojim, but we're still having the same sort of outcome I'm afraid. As suggested, we tried:

• 5V 1A standard iPhone wall plug, with the original Roku cable. Bouncing letters then blue screen.
  • Original Roku wall plug with a Bose cable. Bouncing letters then blue screen.
  • 5V 1A standard iPhone wall plug with a Bose cable. Bouncing letters then blue screen.

Regardless of whether we use the standard adapter/cable or improvise with others, we still get a blue screen eventually. There is a little more nuance to it though. It might be worth noting there is a slight difference in our experience depending on whether we switch the power off/on or if we reset the device using the reset button on the back...

Powering the Roku device off and on, goes to Roku bouncing letters, then immediately to blue screen (no opportunity to choose language or enter WiFi details).

Resetting the Roku device using the button on the back, goes to Roku bouncing letters first, then "Let's get started" language options appear (we select "English"), then we navigate through the "choose your network" selection and password input page (which we do without issue), then it checks and confirms there is a successful WiFi connection and a successful internet connection (both are confirmed as successful), then a pop-up appears straight after saying "software update - checking", which quickly changes to "wait one moment", then it goes straight to blue screen less than a second after that last message.

Roku customer support, are you there? @RokuDanny-RPlease help!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Rokaty

Thanks for the post and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
darsowmatt
Reel Rookie

Hello, today my ROKU 4k(2 months old) will not boot past the bouncing ROKU screen. I have tried hard reset, different block for power cable, different HDMI, unplugged for a few minutes and plugged back in, nothing is working. Could I get some help please.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @darsowmatt

Thanks for reaching out!

Could you try unplugging your router first, then boot up your Roku device? Once it's up, replug your router. Make sure to troubleshoot in this order, and then let us know if there's any difference afterward.

Please also reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku player. It can be found at the back or underneath the device itself.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RhoKoo-monster
Reel Rookie

Hi bought my Express 4K+ in May 2022.

Same issue as everyone here. 

SN: S07P21A6N5WS 

Model: 3941X

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @RhoKoo-monster

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Keep us updated. 

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RhoKoo-monster
Reel Rookie

It is plugged into the wall using the original USB cable and power adapter. I have reset (held for 45+ seconds multiple times)

I've already read through this entire thread and tried all of it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.