Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: On screen alert message: Your Roku device is overheating, what can i do ?

Jump to solution

Hi @YAH,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

For more help and assistance with this type of issue, you'll need to get in touch with the manufacturer of your Roku TV. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

You can locate their support contact information here

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
Mary

draegoch
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I note that Roku is no longer supplying the extender cable they offer quoted in the article. The only option seems to be to unplug the stick and twiddle thumbs while waiting for it to cool off. Perhaps dry ice might help.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @draegoch,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

The free HDMI extender for Roku Streaming Stick is still available. To claim a free HDMI extender, please ensure that you enter the serial number and not the device ID. Do you receive an error when trying to place an order? Did you put the serial number of the device on the form?

For reference, here is how you can find the serial number from the Setting menu, go to Settings > System > About > Serial Number. Lastly, make sure to use the number "zero" instead of the letter "O" when inputting your serial number into the form.

If you are still having any issues, please provide your Roku device's serial number so we can assist further.

Regards,
Nimfa

MartyFins
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't have a Roku TV. It was the streaming stick & I had to buy a new one. Thank you.

cowdude
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I called Hisense and was told it is an issue with the Roku software. I called Roku and was given the run around basically. I've had this TV for over a year with no issues until yesterday when it started sending the message. I pulled the back cover to see if the heatsink compound had dissipated. I found 2 heatsinks that are soldered to the board and cannot be removed to apply new compound. They just smear a dab of compound on and it dissipates over time and needs to be reapplied. I see this as a cheap way to make get people to buy another tv. All computer makers make a way to reapply thermal compound to the chips. When this set dies, I will not buy another so called smart tv. I am a PC technician and I have reapplied it to both CPUs and graphics chips. INMOP this is the result of a software update gone wrong and ROKU needs to take a look at it to fix this issue with Roku TVs.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@cowdude 

As a PC tech, have you thought of placing a cooling fan inside the TV in order to dissipate the heat.  I know you shouldn't have to, but sometimes need to take matters into your own hands.

I was able to add some thermal paste to my Premiere+ (processor was under a can) and did lower temps a bit.  I never received the overheating message though - more of an experiment brought up while addressing a user issue a while back.

Others have actually modified their Streaming Sticks to contain heat sinks that poke through the enclosure. (kind of like an air intake scoop on a vehicle's turbocharger).  Again, shouldn't have to, but anything that can help dissipate heat is going to benefit any electrical device.

For most people, easier and recommended just to send poor performing devices back for a replacement.  For others that have access to these little parts and don't mind tinkering a bit, there is this second option.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Rfgroff
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My device is not inside a cabinet or anywhere near heat so the solution provided by Roku does not help at all

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @Rfgroff

We're here to help!

Could you tell us more about your concern? What's the serial number of the affected Roku player? This can be found at the back or underneath the device itself.

We'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
enndot
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello,

Overheating Error Message for device SN# 223177902782. Open air environment, direct access to cool circulation via window and ceiling fan, TV not hot, but Roku device hot to the touch. Error message just started today (12/04/22). Other device issues appear to coincide with overheating issue and those have been reoccurring instances for some time. Started with syncing issues between remote and device, screen and menu glitches/ lagging/ slow loading of menu, menu options and channels menu selections/ dropped sound/ lagging between sound and stream. TV checked as per manufacturer support @ Samsung and support as per streaming channels and no issues found with either.

Extender does not remove device from direct contact with TV, (if TV heat were the issue). Directions on how to access hidden Roku screens are useless, as there are no instructions on what to do once hidden screen menus have been accessed. Messing around in these menu areas without knowing what one is doing can cause more damage. Never had issues with any previous devices, nor this one prior to a few months ago. Please advise on cause and possible cure.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Rfgroff
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I got an e mail from someone who said they were with Roku and wanted device type and serial number….I provided three times over three weeks. Never heard a word back! I think it may be Roku just trying to act like they care on these forum type communities. Acting… no action!
Randy Groff

0 Kudos