Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tired
Streaming Star

Netflix is running extremely slowly

Jump to solution

For several months Netflix has been excruciatingly slow to respond to commands. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Netflix is running extremely slowly

Jump to solution

Hi @Tired,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Have you tried doing a proper channel cleanup to resolve this persistent issue? If not, we highly recommend doing a system restart in between after removing the channel and before adding the channel back. To do this, go to Settings > System > System Restart.

If the issue is still persistent, please don't hesitate to let us know!

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Tired,

Thank you for your post!

We're sorry to hear about this persistent problem, and we'd like to learn more about it.

Could you please elaborate on the problem you're experiencing? Is this a one-off problem with Netflix? So far, what troubleshooting measures have you attempted to remedy this?

We'll be able to work on this more once we have more precise information.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tired
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The best way I can describe the lag is that it’s like waiting for a download on dial-up internet. I troubleshoot by deleting and reinstalling the app every time I use it, but that process is highly inconvenient now that I plan to use the app daily for the foreseeable future.

Device details in attached photo:

IMG_2318.jpeg

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

After removing a channel, best practice is to restart** your Roku to clear its memory cache before reinstalling the channel. Without the restart you may not get a clean reinstall.

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System > Power or under Settings > System. If you don't have sufficient control to use the menus, or if it is just more convenient, you can also restart by pulling the power plug for a short while, then plugging it back in.

**On a Roku TV with "Fast Start" enabled, turning the TV off/on only puts you in/out of a low power standby state, it does NOT give you a complete restart. Use the methods above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Kiliki

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Hulu, Prime and every other streaming channel work just fine, its just Netflix.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Tired,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Have you tried doing a proper channel cleanup to resolve this persistent issue? If not, we highly recommend doing a system restart in between after removing the channel and before adding the channel back. To do this, go to Settings > System > System Restart.

If the issue is still persistent, please don't hesitate to let us know!

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tired
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The issue persists, specifically when I select a title from the search screen.

0 Kudos
Tony2213
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi this is Tony2213, 

First time I saw this posted but it's funny because I'm having the same issue, all other apps I use I have no issue. I would love to know what's causing this 

0 Kudos
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Tired @Tony2213,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand that Netflix is running extremely slowly, and thanks for letting us know about this.

To better understand the issue here, we'll need additional information about it. Could you please elaborate on the issue you're seeing? When did you start seeing the issue occur? What are the steps that led you to that behavior? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve this?

Let us know more about this so that we can further investigate it.
Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
Tired
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This is much better. There’s still a 2-second lag, but that’s doable.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.