Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christian1210
Channel Surfer

Re: Issues streaming Netflix on my TCL Roku TV

Thanks for the help because nothing on the Internet is. Netflix and Roku have been no help either.I will definitely give your method it a try. I have just regular HD.

Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

I have TCL all of my information gathered and they gave me radio silence so I feel your pain. One of my smaller TCL TVs of the same series doesn’t crash. This is really stupid when you consider how cheap Roku is it would be nice if TCL would release non-smart devices that we could hook a Roku up to. Oh I also blocked all advertising so my tv is not able to talk to things like logs.Netflix.com not sure if that helps or not but I’m trying everything. 

0 Kudos
Christian1210
Channel Surfer

Update: I don't think the TCL TV is the issue. I think it is a Roku/Netflix issue. I went to watch TV at my mom's and she has one of those units (only about a year old) that sits in front of the TV and plugs into the back. Guess what it crashed when we went to watch Netflix. I asked her about it and she said "it does that, I just restart it a couple times and it eventually works." So I called a friend of mine who has a Samsung Roku Smart TV asking him if he has issues and he said "yes" but from the sound of it not as bad or often. I'm wondering if Netflix is upgrading the visuals and Roku can't keep up. Again no other issues on my or the other two people's streaming services on their respective devices. Let's get it together Roku. Reach out to Netflix and figure this out. Your customers shouldn't have to be doing all the work.

Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

It must be something like that, possibly explains why me shutting off videos previews has helped a lot. I’ve also denied traffic to logs.roku or anything related to ads which might have been the last thing I needed to do in order to secure a now much more stable experience. It’s still trash compared to all other services. Feels like Netflix must have some sort of illegal under the table deal to turn people off of Roku by Amazon/Apple etc. Whatever the case they don’t fix it, the reviews for these devices and TVs will just get worse. I won’t buy the new more powerful Roku I’ll switch to Apple TVs, already swapped one. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Christian1210,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We'd love to further assist you regarding this issue that you had with the Netflix channel. Can you please provide the following information that @RokuArjiemar provided above? In addition, may we know what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far?

Once we have these details, we will be able to pass them along to our appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                          John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

All due respect, @RokuJohnB . Use the product and you’ll see the problem. I’m sure you have the latest ultra edition so step down to earlier models or literally any 65” TCL TV you’ll experience it yourself and can get this feedback to devs without us. People have been complaining for god knows how long and all we hear is, “get the make and model and we’ll tell dev”. 

Christian1210
Channel Surfer

Also I've spoken with Roku directly since my original post and they had me jump through hoops, stand on one leg and jump, bark like a dog etc etc (assuming you catch my drift) to try and fix this and nothing works. Also, now that I know it's happening on different Roku devices at different houses clearly it is a Roku/Netflix issue that supplying my model #s and unplugging my tv 100 times is never going to fix.

Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

Have they given you the weird remote button press sequence that’s like, press * 5 times then rewind 10 times etc etc? Here is my strategy and mind you this only really works if you don’t ohh rewind a video or something basic. Turn off the auto preview function, if you can block ads on the TV- do and then hit that sequence of buttons which I can search for you if needed and you should be able to open the app and find then click and play videos albeit slowly, but it’s better than the app crashing every couple of clicks. You can search that sequence but if you can’t find it let me know and I’ll dig it up. I think it clears the cache since that’s not an option on any of my TVs for Netflix. 

0 Kudos
Christian1210
Channel Surfer

Just a follow up on all this. I have now moved all my streaming through my PS5 so I no longer have to deal with this bull. I going to try and avoid using ROKU for my streaming at least for the foreseeable future. 

Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

But they’ve been so helpful if helpful is Latin for useless and uncaring. 14 dollar raspberry pi puts this thing to shame on Netflix. God forbid I hit the volume up button or pause or rewind. It basically works only like network TV. For some reason my 43” doesn’t have the issue so I have a feeling Netflix runs it hot and with no active cooling it dies. That would be some really bad passive chip cooling though. It’s probably something obvious but they clearly aren’t going to do anything about it. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.