Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Issues streaming Netflix on my TCL Roku TV

Hi @Christian1210 and @Hawkeye00021,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having issues with the Netflix app on your Roku TCL TV. We'd like to investigate and try to help. Could you give the following steps a try?

• Remove the channel. Restart the device >> Add channel.
  • Update the channel by highlighting the app and pressing the star button on your remote.
  • Restart the router.

If the issue is persistent, kindly provide us with the following details:

1. Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  3. Netflix app version.

Once a few more pieces of information have been gathered, we will be able to pass them along to the appropriate support team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Christian1210
Channel Surfer

OMG!!! Are you F***ING KIDDING ME!!!! Clearly you didn't take the time to bother to read the thread Hawkeye and I have been posting over the past couple of months. Between the both of us we have done, NOT ONLY, the steps you just mentioned but many others and I have even called Roku and followed their steps over the phone. Thanks but no thanks, not that you probably read this either, but I already took care of the issue by moving my streaming services to my PS5. Thanks for helping. (Sarcasm in case you couldn't tell)

Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

Seriously? Read the full post and many more just like it. You’ve got a major problem impacting a lot of people regarding Netflix. I’ve provided the information months ago and again recently and won’t keep bending over backwards because you all are too lazy to read. Look at your internal notes and if you can come back with a straight face and tell me that in all the reports of this issue you don’t have adequate information to fix the problem then I’ll go out of my way one last time. I’m up to two Apple TVs now, they are more expensive but Netflix works. I still recommend TCL TVs to folks but if they watch Netflix I explain that they need to use a fire stick (cheap) or Apple (expensive) to have an experience that doesn’t make them want to pull their hair out. 

Yet, WE (not just two of us on this one thread) are seriously upset with this customer service. 

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We understand and hear your frustrations, @Christian1210 and @Hawkeye00021.

Rest assured we'll flag this concern to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. To help the team better assess this issue, would you mind providing us with the following details?

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Netflix app version.
The above information requested is crucial to help our Roku engineers look closely into this. We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Janadee
Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Christian1210
Channel Surfer

I will not be supplying any IDs or doing any MORE steps. I've already done this, TWICE!!!! I don't know if you are trying to be funny, trying to piss me more off or are just generally nieve to the previous posts. As I've already stated I took care of it myself by changing to a different stream service.

Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

TCL model 65s431

hardware id- c168x

sn— x00000386g43

software version 12.5.5 build 4174-93

device id- S0cjy18886g43

For the last time, when the issue occurs I’m thrown out of the app completely and unable to provide any further support information. This TV is a couple hundred at most, go buy one and test it. It will fail. Simply open nextflix and look for a few shows if you get that far and then punish the system by pausing/rewinding/jumping ahead which is normal behavior for all streaming services but it doesn’t work on Roku with Netflix. I’m not sure how to make this anymore clear. Like our other poster here this is the last time I provide this information. I’m replacing devices every few months. My ability to support you in fixing your problems will come to an end soon so take what you have and spend a few dollars to figure it out as we aren’t the only two people with this issue. Search it on google and you’ll find Reddit posts that you could spend weeks reading. 

If you see actually sorry about our frustration you’ll do as I suggested and start testing on your own. You’ll provide updates about the testing (able to reproduce in house with dev, working on fix/unable to reproduce in house) etc. You will not ask us to provide the same info over and over and you will understand that I provided everything this pile of trash will permit. Restart a Roku TV since that’s what can happen otherwise it freezes so hard I have to reboot it using an app to kill the power switch and when I launch hitting home and back provide info but it’s always after a reboot and I’m told that info is useless. 

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community, @Hawkeye00021!

We appreciate the precise details you have provided. Rest assured that we will coordinate this with the appropriate Roku team to investigate your device further and get you back on streaming. We also apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your streaming. 

In the meantime, you can try to perform these steps to help you troubleshoot the channel:

1. Remove the channel: navigate to your Home screen, move to the right, highlight the app, press Star*, then select Remove channel
  2. Perform a system reboot: navigate to your Home, select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart
  3. Re-install the channel: navigate to your Home, scroll and select Store, look for the app, then press Add channel

Nevertheless, we have already forwarded this matter to the team. We would also want to gather a Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID) as this will serve as your Issue report ID. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

This topic has been discussed for many months, and the problem persists.  That tells me that the TV manufacturer, TCL, or ROKU, or Netflix, or all of them together have not taken the steps necessary to stop it for occurring or for at least informing all of us how to stop the lockups and buffering and blow back to the home screen.  This also tells me the executives in charge of transmission and customer service and quality control, (for TCL), do not consider this a priority problem to address.  So, once again, corporations are doing it to us with immunity because, hey, we live in a capitalist society, so suck it up. 

I have this problem not only with Netflix, but with a couple of other streaming services, like TUBI, for example.  Many have no issues, like PBS, HULU and MHZ for example.  I have 23 streaming networks on the ROKU home screen and about 20 of them do not experience lockups, delays, skipping blowing back to the home screen or whatever other interrupts you might name.  Just fix it.  It seems, by the way, to be getting worse.  I use Frontier fiber, and have a 95 MBPS usually, with a connection identified as "Excellent."  I think I should have a 100 MBPS download speed, but mine is fine for streaming, so it can't be that reason.

Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

I have 1gbps so no it’s not that. I’m also using a network cable so it’s not WiFi. It’s something between these companies like you said. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.