Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enrybmk

Issues streaming Netflix on my TCL Roku TV

I have two 50" TCL Ruku Tvs. One purchased in 2021 and one in 2022. Netflix doesn't work on either one. Its shuts down or freezes. No issues on my Samsung with a Ruku plug-in. No issues with any other app on all 3 Tv's. I've deleted the app, reinstalled, reset ect.......... My guess is its a TCL issue. Just documenting this. TCL TVs are cheap, but I would avoid. 

28 REPLIES 28
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Issues streaming Netflix on my TCL Roku TV

Hi @enrybmk,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about the issue you are experiencing when streaming Netflix. Have you tried contacting TCL or Netflix? If the issue persists on one channel after attempting the troubleshooting steps and videos from other channels play fine, please contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. The channel developers themselves maintain channels on Roku. There might be an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. You can check here for the TV support contact list and channel contact list.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

It is the worst smart tv experience with Netflix specifically that I’ve ever seen. 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Hawkeye00021,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the Netflix channel. We're happy to further assist you. Can you please provide the following information below?

• What Roku device are you using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify)
  • Is this the only channel that you're having issues with?
  • Could you elaborate more about the problem that you have?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                              John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

It the title a TCL Roku TV, seems to happen on 2-3 of them. Dedicated Roku devices on the same network aren’t impacted. Opening Netflix often results in getting kicked back to the Home Screen, when I get lucky I can get into the main menu and look for a show but clicking on it might freeze up then crash the app, or if I’m super lucky I make it all the way to something starting to play and then it freezes and the app crashes. I’ve been in information technology (paid) for 23 years and closer to 27 years in total. I say that only to let you know not to insult my intelligence. The only thing I can do to temporarily fix the problem is hit the home button 5 times then rewind a few and fast forward a few and I can’t remember the last step of the top of my head. 

Rebooting the tv does not work (hard power off waiting 30 seconds or overnight), there is no option to clear the cache of the app, I have uninstalled and reinstalled ad nauseam. The TV OS is always up to date. I’ve done a complete wipe of the device and reinstall. I’ve pulled one of these devices new out of the box and the issue showed up nearly immediately. 

I have every streaming service, they all work fine. Either Netflix is realizing trash tier code that requires more of some resource than the TV can give which would be a fatal design choice by TCL/Roku as I’m sure you quality control third parties before stamping the Roku name on it. 

There is nothing left to try, but feel free to take a shot at it. 

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Hawkeye00021,

Thanks for the post,

We would be more than happy to investigate further, but we will need further details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.
We look forward to working with you to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

I’ll get all of that to you even though I know that I’m feeding the same info a thousand others already have. 

TCL Model- 65S431

SN- X0000038G43

Software Version- 12.5.5 build 4174-93

Like I’ve said as clear as a window without glass in it, Netflix is the impacted “channel”. It is Version 5.1 build 120088003 and is up to date. 

I just tested this stupid tracker ID thing and the app just kicks me to the Home Screen at this point and no tracker ID shows up. I know for a fact you have a lot of customers complaining about this and if your problems is not being able to get the tracker ID that will continue to be a problem. Might I suggest that Roku simply get one of these and test it on their own not leaving half the work to the community? I crashed it again while talking and still no tracker ID. 

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Hawkeye00021,

Thanks for the post,

We wanted to let you know that we are continuing to investigate your reported issue and hope to provide you with a more detailed update when additional information is available. Thanks for your continued patience.Do not hesitate to let us know if you have any additional feedback.

Regards,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Christian1210
Channel Surfer

I just read this thread. I also have been having the same problems with Netflix. This is a new TCL Roku TV and ONLY Netflix is giving me issues. All the other streaming apps work fine. I have also followed all the steps that are all over you tube and here as well from unplugging, to reinstalling we etc etc and nothing. 

Hawkeye00021
Binge Watcher

There is one thing that helps for a while or two I guess. I shut off the auto preview for movies and there is a sequence you press into the remote that does something you can only get by doing it. It’s like pressing home 5 times then start 5 times and some other stuff. I’m sure I can find it if you have tried that yet. I think shutting off previews helps a lot but still have to press the remote buttons in that sequence which is best to do after disabling the previews. Curious, are you paying for ultra high def or the normal HD plan? 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.