Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: How to stop my Roku device from overheating

Jump to solution

@Jaytizzle

I apologize for the delay in response.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Jenny7

Jump to solution

I have a roku premiere and I have tried to fix the overheating with all suggestions.  I tried to order an extender but said my serial number wasn't valid. What do I do now?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Jenny7

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Please be advised that HDMI Extenders are only compatible with Roku Streaming Sticks. For us to further assist you with the overheating issue of your Premiere, reply here with the serial number or device ID of your player. It can be found at the back or underneath the device itself.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
WerewolfVm

Jump to solution

Hello! Your resolve for these overheating issues does not help one bit. I added the HDMI Extender cable to my 4K+ stick and it's more than 8 inches from the TV and nowhere near any wall. I still get the overheating warning on newer transmitted movies and shows from HBOMax like House of Dragons for example. Very tiring and annoying to see this on the screen while watching the show. I also wonder when it will die on me as I am using it or create a little sparking/fire. How about really fixing this issue?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @WerewolfVm

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please reply here with the serial number of your Roku device. It can be found by navigating to Settings > System > About or at the back of the stick itself. Once we have the information needed, we'll forward it to our team who will assist you further.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TustinGuy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My overheating Roku stick is 213121409183. I get the message even with the HDMI extender.  I ended up adding aluminum foil "fins" to the stick to stop it from overheating and stopping.  Too bad Roku doesn't come up with this as a free fix. (Not aluminum foil, but some sort of hard aluminum fins like ICs use.)  I'd love to replace this stick though.  I'm worried about the internal damage due to continued heat.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @TustinGuy

Thanks for reaching out.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Db12C

Jump to solution

I have read your article on an overheating device. I followed the link to receive a a free HDMI extender.

In filling out the form for my 2 devices I have entered the SN and each time an error message come up saying it is an incorrect SN number. I have done this several time for each device and the same error message comes up each time. 

The numbers are: SN K42983556292       MODEL #3920X

and   SN: JG28CG641781     MODEL#3921X

I can find no other numbers on either device. What wrong?

Thanks for any help, Dusty Benedict

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Db12C, the extender is only for sticks and a stick is device that plugs directly into an HDMI port without the need for a cable.  Its purpose is to get the stick further from the heat produced by the TV itself.  It would accomplish absolutely nothing for your 392x devices.  My 3920 has been the worst Roku device I've owned.  It works slightly better removed from its case, but that's probably not a solution for everyone.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

Jump to solution

Thank you for that observation.  I have an HDMI extender on order from Roku and will be looking forward to similar results.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.