Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwalterk
Channel Surfer

ESPN pixelated on YouTube TV, Roku Ultra 4670x

For weeks now any ESPN channel on YouTube TV is pixelated to the point it looks like the Minecraft version. Diagonal lines are very blocky, especially the on screen graphics like the virtual scoreboard.

I have tried the following:

• Uninstall / reinstall YouTube TV app
  • Adjust Roku resolution to match TV
  • Reset network connection on Roku
  • Restart Roku (fixes it temporarily)

Other notes:

• All other YouTube TV channels are fine
  • All other streaming apps are fine
  • The built-in YouTube TV app on my 6 year old smart TV does not have this problem with ESPN

PXL_20230128_170153397_exported_1674925989113-01.jpeg

16 REPLIES 16
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: ESPN pixelated on YouTube TV, Roku Ultra 4670x

Hi @rwalterk

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
rwalterk
Channel Surfer

That's exactly the procedure I followed. And I've restarted the device probably 25 times since this started but it always reoccurs within an hour.

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi  @rwalterk

Thanks for keeping in touch!

Many channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. Since the error only occurs on the ESPN Plus channel, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. We indeed recommend contacting ESPN Support to report the issue and get help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,
Lianna   

0 Kudos
jlfurler
Reel Rookie

I've had the same problem, nothing fixes it. It's only on our Roku devices. We also have an Apple TV 4K and all ESPN channels are fine on YouTube TV on that device. Surprised that Roku and YouTube TV haven't solved it yet.

rwalterk
Channel Surfer

I contacted YouTube TV support and the first response was the usual "Uninstall the app, power off Roku, power off Internet modem (lol), reinstall app" but it's the same. After a restart of the Roku it's fine, but if I use Netflix and then go back to YouTube TV, it's the same again. They asked for video samples which I sent today, so I'll see if I get anywhere with them.

I'm also starting to see it happen with more channels now. I tried to watch sports on Fox and Fox Sports channels and saw it there, as well as PBS and ABC. Others are fine though like CBS, TNT, NBC. 

It's frustrating.

rwalterk
Channel Surfer

• This is happening on YouTube TV with ESPN channels, not the ESPN+ app
  • I have two older Roku 3 units in my home and they are not having this issue
  • I have contacted YouTube TV support as well, and they do not have any useful solutions yet
  • The same smart TV that is connected to the problematic Roku Ultra has a built in YouTube TV app, and there is no problem using that app
Conelic
Reel Rookie

Did you ever find a solution? I’ve been having the exact same issue with both of my Roku Ultras and the YouTube TV app. After I restart my Roku it usually works fine for a bit but always gets pixelated shortly after. Looking at an alternative streaming device. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Conelic

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community. 

We're sorry to hear that you are also seeing this issue on your end. Have you tried to remove the channel and see if it helps? If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the affected channel and re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
jlfurler
Reel Rookie

I've tried all of the suggested solutions multiple times, nothing has offered a permanent solution. I also don't understand why it's only happening with the Streambar. I also have two Roku Streaming Stick 4Ks -- one on a 4K TV and another on a simple 1080p TV -- and both are fine. I thought it might have something to do with the television it's connected to, but that's not the case. Frustrating.

0 Kudos