Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

initial activation without internet or cell phone service

Jump to solution

I need to activate my new Ultra to use with Dish TV signal  I do NOT have internet or cell coverage. 

Can I register and set up the account on another computer and get the code to activate the roku at my house? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: initial activation without internet or cell phone service

Jump to solution

Hello! @Ghillie2016,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thank you for contacting us regarding the activation of your Roku Ultra. We are happy to help.

Roku streaming makes it easy and affordable to watch what you love anytime you want. To get yourself set up, simply: 

• Power up your Roku device 
  • Plug in and connect your Roku player or TV to the internet 
  • Create a Roku account and activate your device 

And that’s it—cutting the cable cord is easy! Note: All Roku players and streaming sticks connect to your TV’s HDMI port. Roku TV models have the Roku streaming experience built-in, so no HDMI connection is needed. 

Do I need an internet connection for Roku?

Yes, Roku streaming players and Roku TV models need to be connected to your Wi-Fi network to work. Roku Ultra also has an Ethernet port for wired streaming.

Please check this link for more detailed instructions on how to set up your Roku Ultra: How to set up your Roku Ultra.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Ghillie2016,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thank you for contacting us regarding the activation of your Roku Ultra. We are happy to help.

Roku streaming makes it easy and affordable to watch what you love anytime you want. To get yourself set up, simply: 

• Power up your Roku device 
  • Plug in and connect your Roku player or TV to the internet 
  • Create a Roku account and activate your device 

And that’s it—cutting the cable cord is easy! Note: All Roku players and streaming sticks connect to your TV’s HDMI port. Roku TV models have the Roku streaming experience built-in, so no HDMI connection is needed. 

Do I need an internet connection for Roku?

Yes, Roku streaming players and Roku TV models need to be connected to your Wi-Fi network to work. Roku Ultra also has an Ethernet port for wired streaming.

Please check this link for more detailed instructions on how to set up your Roku Ultra: How to set up your Roku Ultra.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You should be able to register your Roku and then move it.  I’m not sure what you mean by "Ultra to use with Dish TV signal".  I can imagine that to be multiple things, some of which won’t work.  But I suppose MAYBE you could use Dish Anywhere on your phone to cast a recording from your DVR to the Roku, provided you have a LAN. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
jeccker
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem. I need a streaming player in my RV. I expect most times I'll be in places where I won't have internet.  But I don't want to online stream - I want to put in the usb drive and play videos from there. I want to use screen mirroring to watch shows saved on my phone (like vids I purchased from Amazon, and downloaded in the app for *offline* viewing).  I had two separate things to do this before, and it worked for a while - but they were cheap pieces of Chinese garbage, so eventually they died. I was excited to get the Roku - a solid product that had everything I needed in one box.

I set everything up in the house with an internet connection. I bought a tiny router for my "network." Then I unplugged the router from the internet, and everything worked fine. It doesn't need internet to play local videos. 

Then I put everything in the RV. Now when I power on the Roku, it gives me a "cannot connect to the internet" error. There's no way around it, even though it had the wifi password saved in it - it's just this time the router isn't connected to the internet.  All it needs to do is connect to the router, give me the main screen, *then* give me a "no internet" error as if I were watching online at home and there was a power failure.  Please fix this, otherwise it's just an expensive brick. 

This would be the same if I wanted to use the Roku at home during a power outage to play local (usb drive or phone mirroring) files.  I can hook up the generator to run the tv, but I can't get to the internet if the provider is without power. Why does it insist on an internet connection at power-up, when it clearly doesn't need one to play local files? I bought the Roku Ultra because it appeared to do all the things I need. But in reality, it fails miserably.  I'll have to return it.

I looked around for a smart tv (the one in the camper is not), but came up with nothing. This is a 28" tv. I might be able to do 30". But all I can find are 24", 27", and 32".  And none of the 27s have a built-in tuner (I can pick up several channels off the air). So I can't get around it that way.

My smart tvs in the house don't give me internet errors when I turn them on when the internet is down - only if I try to watch an online video. But I can still connect to my home's Plex server (I ripped all 1600 of my dvds to files for this), and stream from my phone. I can't believe the tvs are smarter than the Roku, considering Roku was around well before the functionality was integrated into tvs.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jeccker, Roku has made it painfully obvious that they don't care about local streaming - there's no money in that.  You may be able to use some kind of bridge from your router to your phone's hotspot just to get through the Internet check and then disable the hotspot, but I can't say that I've tried it.  There's probably better options than Roku out there for what you're trying to do.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jeccker
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't understand them taking this attitude. I don't pay them for any streaming services. They don't get any money if I stream from Amazon, or Hulu, or from my memory stick. They sell boxes. The more useful the box, the more they sell. Well, this box went back to Amazon, and I'm unlikely to get another. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jeccker There is one workaround that would get you working in your RV. Find a very inexpensive WiFi router, set it up with the same SSID and password that you have on your home network, and then put it in your RV. It doesn't need any Internet to work, but when your Roku sees the router that it "knows" it will reconnect without checking for an Internet connection. Now the Roku is happy and you can play whatever you want off of your Ultra. You should be able to find an inexpensive router with WiFi for under $50, some even under $30. It doesn't matter how well it works, it simply needs to provide the WiFi SSID/password for your Roku that it recognizes.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jeccker wrote:

They sell boxes.

Investopedia says 14% of Roku revenue comes from hardware sales.  86% comes from advertising, distribution of streaming services, etc. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
jeccker
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That's what I did. I bought a tiny travel router (1.5" square), connected it to the network to set up the Roku, then disconnected the internet. Everything worked fine. But after I unplugged everything and set up in the RV, it demanded an internet connection for the power-up, even though I was using the same router with the same SSID. 

0 Kudos
jeccker
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ah. That would explain it. Thanks! But I will never be streaming on the road. They'll never get advertising income from my RV. But if they changed the startup routine such a minimal amount, they could market it to non-internet uses. If I had an internet connection but only did offline streaming, they'd still not make advertising money from me.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.