Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I switch between my cable TV and Roku device?

Jump to solution

@loismuggstv We need more information. What is your make/model of TV? What model Roku are you using (model number, not name)?

There's nothing the Roku could have done to alter your other remotes. I don't have a Comcast remote, but most multi-function remotes like that have a selector to change what device they are controlling. It's possible that it has been switched to control a different device, while the power button is always programmed to control the TV.

There's nothing a Roku could do to alter what you are getting over "regular" TV, which I assume you mean over the air or via a cable box. The picture and sound issues are independent of a Roku, or any other external device, that is connected to the TV.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@loismuggstv Try the input button on the TV remote.  There may also be an input button on a third party remote such as a Comcast remote and it may or may not currently be correctly programmed to change inputs on your TV.

0 Kudos
Zumbaqueen

Jump to solution

The solution does not work on my Samsung either. You can't change sources as Roku disables the TV remote. I was on support help w my cable company and he said he's seen this a few times.  I can't use the roku as we still use cable.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

There's no way the Roku is disabling the TV's remote. That simply isn't possible. Something else is causing the problem, but I can't say from here. The Roku (or something else) might be blocking the TV's IR receiver window.

Dan

C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

There's no way the Roku is disabling the TV's remote. That simply isn't possible. Something else is causing the problem, but I can't say from here. The Roku (or something else) might be blocking the TV's IR receiver window.

Try using your input button on your TV or cable or satellite remote and try each HDMI video  source until you see your home screen appear.  And then switch back to the video source that your cable is on once you are done watching your Roku device. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@C_I I'm uncertain what you are suggesting. I can use my TV remote to change TV inputs without an issue, or I can use my AVR remote to change its inputs. I can also just press a button on my Roku or Shield remote, and both the TV and the AVR will change to the proper input for that device. The person I was responding to says they can't use the TV remote with the Roku connected, and I'm simply pointing out there's nothing the Roku itself can do to cause that to happen.

Dan

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@C_I I'm uncertain what you are suggesting. I can use my TV remote to change TV inputs without an issue, or I can use my AVR remote to change its inputs. I can also just press a button on my Roku or Shield remote, and both the TV and the AVR will change to the proper input for that device. The person I was responding to says they can't use the TV remote with the Roku connected, and I'm simply pointing out there's nothing the Roku itself can do to cause that to happen.

My cable remote has an input button, and all I have to do to toggle between the the input where my cable TV is and the HDMI port where my Roku is hooked into. When I am done, I just have to press that same button on the remote to return it to the cable TV signal Or, I can use my TV remote to switch back and forth like I do with my TV remote. If the person you are responding to says they can't do that, then that's a problem with their remote. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

To switch between cable TV and roku device you must use your TV remote and press input button. Then choose the hdmi port you need connecting to. Do this to or from either.

0 Kudos
shircur

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem.  This is my second Roku device with Roku Express remote.  No problem with first Roku, but now the remote is slightly different and I cannot get back to regular cable tv unless I unplug the roku.  Not going to do this. I'll return the Roku

renojim

Jump to solution

@shircur, are you looking for help?  The Roku remote wouldn't have anything to do with getting back to regular cable TV.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos