Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmuka
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku iOS app causing an excessive battery drain

I've experienced this issue three times in the last few weeks including tonight. ( sorry I don't have the exact timeline). My phone gets blistering hot and battery drains.  I install iOS and Roku app updates when they are released.  Currently on  

iPhone 14 pro.

iOS iOS 16.4.1 (20E252)

Roku app 9.2.0.5573980.47. 

I nightly use Roku private listening on my iphone 14 pro with Google pixel buds A Bluetooth from my TCL tv built in Roku 11.5.0 build 4312.

Phone NOT on the charger.

It doesn't happen every time, not sure how to recreate it. When I notice it I reboot and let it cool off.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tmuka,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about this issue when using the Roku mobile app that causes your mobile device to overheat and your battery to drain.

We'll send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tmuka
Reel Rookie

thank you!  I neglected to mention that I LOVE the "private listening" feature, and really appreciate that I can use it solo, or my wife and I can use "private listening" together on our own phones/airpods when the kids are asleep!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tmuka,

We appreciate your feedback on the private listening feature.

We will forward your valuable feedback to the concerned team and we'll get back to you once we have an update. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
WOliver
Channel Surfer

I have an IPhone 14 Pro Max running IOS 16.4.1 (a).  Multiple times I have finished watching a movie on tv via a Roku app only to find my IPhone battery dead. I do not use it while watching and nothing else us running. It happened last night. I went from 100% to dead in about 3 hours.  Battery use shows Roku use was 76% responsible.  Any thoughts

? Thanks

IMG_9272.png

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @WOliver,

Thanks for sharing your observation.

We understand your concern about the battery drain issue with your mobile device when using the Roku mobile app and we're sorry if this has caused any inconvenience.

Please be advised that we are currently aware of the issue and our appropriate team is working diligently to resolve the issue. Rest assured once more information is available I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

In the meantime, can you please provide us with the following information:

• mobile device brand, model, and current OS
  • Roku mobile app version and build
  • when did you start seeing this issue occur
  • what are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Yolo

Private listening on iphone 12 pro max heats alots after 1 hour

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Yolo,

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!

We appreciate your effort in posting and your patience with the issue you are experiencing. The team is hard at work investigating the issue with Roku mobile app causing overheating with mobile devices, we still haven't received any feedback back as of the moment but rest assured that we'll send the update once we have it. In the meantime, please provide all the required details mentioned above in your post as it will help our Roku team to investigate further the reported issue.

Please keep us posted with the details. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with the Roku app itself. When I connect to wireless CarPlay on my iPhone the battery drains significantly and the case is quite warm, even if I'm not actually using anything on the CarPlay screen. I've lost over 20% of the iPhone battery in less than an hour's drive, and not even displaying the CarPlay screen in the car. I think it's something within the iOS that has power issues with some apps, and it's more an Apple issue than the app itself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
tmuka
Reel Rookie

Thanks, that's an interesting data point to me, Dan.  Whether it's an iOS update, or a Roku update I hope we they can get to the fix for it!  I've used Roku private listening for a few years until this battery drain/heat issue started a few weeks ago... 

0 Kudos