Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bostick
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku app wont connect to my TV

Jump to solution

I have two Roku TVs, a Westinghouse and a TCL. The app doesn’t connect to either of them.

The only error message is attached.

IMG_5758.png

My ISP is Spectrum.

What’s weird is that the app works every once in a while. Not sure why. Most of the time it can see the TVs it just can’t connect to them.

Also, my kid’s iPod touch, running a much older version of the app, can connect. So it’s not the wifi, ISP or anything. It’s the app.

Really hope you guys fix this!

RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting it here in the Roku Community, @Bostick.

We are happy to look closer into this issue you're having with the Roku devices not connecting to your Roku App.

In order to gain a clearer understanding of the issue at hand, we kindly ask that you provide us with more specific details about your concern:

• Have you received any software updates recently that might trigger the issue? If so, please provide us with the software version of your Roku by going to Settings > System > About.
  • Can you also provide the app version of your kid's iPod and your current Roku App software version? This will allow us to isolate what's causing the problem.
  • Have you tried connecting the App to the Roku manually? (You can refer to the support article below for the steps)

For more detailed information, you can visit this support article: How to connect your phone to a Roku streaming device with the Roku mobile app.

Let us know how this works.
All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
abou72

Jump to solution

Same issue here. I used to use the app all the time for the private listening feature. Then I went for a long while without using it, but in the last several months, I have encountered the same issue every single time, both before and after switching to a different ISP. I've tried resetting my connection, powering down my phone, turning TV off and on. The only thing that works is to reboot my router, and I refuse to do that every time I want to use the app remote. 

I am using a TCL TV, model 43S405

Software version 13.1.4

Previous ISP: CenturyLink

Current ISP: Spectrum

RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings from the Roku Community, @abou72.

We appreciate you for taking the time to post your concern about the Roku TV that won't connect to your Roku App. We'd be glad to dig deep into this issue that you're currently facing.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if it works? We recommend doing so to see if it makes any difference and resolves the issue.

Please get back to us and let us know how this works.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Baba108

Jump to solution

THIS WORKED FOR ME AFTER ISSUES THE PAST FEW WEEKS…

Step 1 Hard restart of my iPhone.

Step 2 Deleted the Roku App

Strp 3 Reinstalled the app, went to devices. I think I clicked on search for devices. My RokuTV came up and worked right away.

Sminotakis
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same issue! Brand new TCL Roku TV bought 2 weeks ago. The TV connected to the app at first, but now it won’t even show up. I’ve deleted the app, restarted both my phone and the tv, factory reset the TV, tried manually connected via IP address. Nothing has fixed the issue. I need help!

0 Kudos
K-Pit13

Jump to solution

This worked perfectly 

RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Sminotakis.

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We'd be happy to help you with the issue of connecting your Roku app to your Roku TV.

There is a Control by Mobile Apps setting on your Roku device that, when disabled, prevents the Roku mobile app and any third-party app from communicating with your Roku device. To enable this setting again, you must use your Roku remote and follow the following steps.

1. Press the Home button on your remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced System settings
  5. Select Control by mobile apps
  6. Select Network Access
  7. Choose one of three options:
    • Default. This setting is for users who want to use the Roku mobile app or a third-party app to act as a remote and control their Roku device. Most users choose this setting.
    • Permissive. For users who want the Roku mobile app or a third-party app to control their Roku device and are on a publicly accessible network. This choice is uncommon and typically used with an advanced network configuration.
    • Disable: For users who do not want a third-party app to be able to control their Roku device.

When your Roku device is configured to allow Wi-Fi network access (set to Default for most users), it should appear on the Roku mobile app's discovery screen.

Furthermore, you may also visit this support article on how to connect your phone to a Roku streaming device with the Roku mobile app
We hope you'll find this information helpful. Let us know if you still have any questions.

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.