Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirdovada

Universal Remote for Roku TV questions

Hello, I hope you guys can help me as the TV my grandmas has no longer works and there is a cheap roku tv on sale. Question: You know how traditional tv remotes have a “channel up” and a “channel down” button? If I connect my universal remote to the roku tv, and press these buttons, will it go straight to the local channels and just “work” ? She does not want to use the roku remote. She also does not want to navigate through the roku UI or channel guide. She just wants to use the universal remote to flip through local channels, change volume, and turn the roku tv off/on. Thank you all in advance, and I will of course pair the universal remote to the roku tv.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Universal Remote for Roku TV questions

How's it going @kirdovada?

A warm welcome from the Roku Community!

Thanks for getting in touch about wanting to use a universal remote for her Roku TV. We can assist you with that.

For using a universal remote, please check out this article:How to set up a cable, satellite, or universal remote to control your Roku TV system.

We hope this helps. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thanks,

Rj

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TaslimDude
Binge Watcher

Dosen't Help because I don't have a ROKU TV but have a Roku Ultra

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@TaslimDude 

Then start you own thread with proper title, this thread is dealing with Roku TV's like it say's in the title!!

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
TaslimDude
Binge Watcher

OK will do 

Did not know the thread was about Roku TVs because I found by a search and did not pay attention to the thread title plus I'm new to Roku messages.

0 Kudos

I see a lot of folks having issues not being able to directly input channel numbers with the "simple" remote that comes with the Onn (and maybe other brands) TVs.

I got one of the 50 in. Onn Roku TVs that Walmart had on sale recently (Nov. 2023).  No way to directly input channel numbers for my cable TV selections.  Found a Philips Universal Remote (SRP9232D/27) new for less than $4 & it works to direct input channels 1-99.  It won't work on channels with numbers over 99, but you can input 99, then use channel "up" key to get to higher channel numbers.  Or, input a low number, then use channel "down" key to get to the higher numbers.  Way better than the "simple" Roku remote that came with TV.  It seems like most of the other function to control TV (volume keys, return to last channel, home, menu, etc.) work OK.

Yes, I saw the remote that was going to come with this TV before I bought the TV, and saw no channel number buttons, but I figured maybe it had an onscreen number pad that would do that.  Maybe shows my ignorance that this was not the case.

0 Kudos