Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pixelcube0

The star button doesn't open settings on remote or app

Jump to solution

I don't know what happened but I changed the batteries in my remote and suddenly the (*) button doesn't work but the light on the TV still blinks when I push it like it's responding, if I press it too much it turns on screen reader. I tried in the app too and same thing, the TV light blinks in response but nothing happens. I tried soft resetting my TV, unplugging it and holding the power button, I even put the old batteries in and still nothing. I'd like to not have to factory reset but is that my only option? I'm mostly just baffled about how a battery change suddenly caused this.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: The star button doesn't open settings on remote or app

Jump to solution

Hi @kataikey, thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We value your feedback and would like to offer clarification on this matter. Firstly, pressing the star (*) button on your Roku remote five times will toggle the screen reader features on your Roku device. However, when playing content in the app or channel and pressing the star button once, a menu may appear, providing options to adjust the app or content feature settings. Please note that certain apps have their own settings menus, which can affect the accessibility features. This means it depends on the specific app you are using.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you still have any questions

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

That's weird.  Just checking, it's a Roku TV and not a Roku device connected to a TV, right?  Does it make a difference if a video is playing or not?  Using the mobile app as a remote does the same thing?  That would make me think it has nothing to do with the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@pixelcube0 wrote:

...  if I press it too much it turns on screen reader.

Hitting the * key on your Roku remote four times in a short period of time is a shortcut that toggles the Screen Reader feature on and off, so four quick presses of the * key should toggle this feature back off.

To deactivate the four-* trigger shortcut altogether use menu path Settings > Accessibility > Shortcut (in the Screen Reader section) > Disabled

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
fayefrogg

Jump to solution

I’m having the EXACT same problem and I can’t find a fix to it 🥲 Restarting the tv has done nothing, I’m at a loss lol

(Mine is a Onn RokuTV)

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @fayefrogg,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're experiencing the same issue, and we'd like to help. As @makaiguy stated, this button can be used as a shortcut to close caption, channel information, and playback settings.

Let us know how you're able to reproduce the issue and we'll take a closer look.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kataikey

Jump to solution

I'm having the exact same issue. The issue is not with screen reader. When you press the * button the indicator light lights up, but there is no sound and the menu does not open. It does not matter if the video is playing or paused. The reason the screen reader part is important is if you press * the required amount of time that still enables and disables, but the menu still does not show up on a normal on click press. It's the exact same way for the app. Meaning you cannot access the menu whatsoever, but it's not an issue with the remote/button. I hope that's clear enough since clearly things have been misunderstood and it seems like people either gave up or found a solution and didn't share. I'm very frustrated as I have a migraine and just wanted to play an audio book to go to bed but I can't properly dim the TV enough because I have no access to the menu.

0 Kudos
kataikey

Jump to solution

Update: I have found that the button works properly and opens the menu on Netflix just fine, but it won't on YouTube, whether I open it manually or through YouTube on my phone. Now I'm extra frustrated.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @kataikey, thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We value your feedback and would like to offer clarification on this matter. Firstly, pressing the star (*) button on your Roku remote five times will toggle the screen reader features on your Roku device. However, when playing content in the app or channel and pressing the star button once, a menu may appear, providing options to adjust the app or content feature settings. Please note that certain apps have their own settings menus, which can affect the accessibility features. This means it depends on the specific app you are using.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you still have any questions

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.