Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abitcrazynaz
Channel Surfer

Re: TV brand not recognized at initial setup

I'm having the same problem with Vizio. My last Roku had no problem working with Vizio. THIS remote now is not pulling up ANY brands. I tried V, then I typed in I (for Insignia, since I just set up my old remote for an Insignia and it pulled up a number of brands). So, this remote is not seeing ANYthing. How to fix!!!

0 Kudos
abitcrazynaz
Channel Surfer

What are you talking about? pihole? what is that?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@abitcrazynaz, pihole is an ad-blocker.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Exactly which model Roku do you have? More information will help

0 Kudos
mayanichole
Reel Rookie

3900rw-Roku Express

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

The 3900 RW comes with a simple remote. That is why you don’t see a power button on it. That is why you cannot set it up to control your TV. The Roku you purchased does not have the ability to control your TV using the remote. It even shows you on the box

0 Kudos
abitcrazynaz
Channel Surfer

I am hooking up the Utra LT model, with voice activation remote. Apparently this is a 'gaming' remote, and not the one to control for volume or power on. I had an Ultra that I replaced and it was able to work with my Vizio tv; when moving the older Roku to the bedroom, I was able to reprogram THAT remote to the Insignia TV with no problem. I have come to the conclusion the remote sent to me with this model does not have capability to recognize ANY tv. I had switched networks; I had hooked it directly to my router via a wired connection; I tried to use a hotspot, to no avail.  And I had also checked my TV settings; CEC is enabled.

abitcrazynaz
Channel Surfer

Not sure if Trooperdad's post was to me, but the remote that came with my Ultra LT does indeed have the power button, and the volume controls on the side. It is simply not working as it should.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@abitcrazynaz 

Roku no longer includes the Gaming Remote, which dated to around 2013. The dropped that from the lineup sometime back. From around 2016, they changed to include versions of the Voice Remote with the Sticks and higher end boxes, and the Gaming Remote became an optional accessory you could order separately, but was dropped not long after.

The Ultra LT has the same Voice Remote you find on many of the devices today. It should work exactly as the Ultra, Stick, or other non-Express devices.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Any Roku remote with A & B keys like one that came with  Ultra LT is identified as a Gaming remote by the Roku. Its still has TV IR on board. Even the Ultra 4660 with RC-AL4 remote is called a gaming remote because of the A & B keys. There is no other reason for A & B keys then to play games. The first generation Ultra 4640 remote didn't have tv IR on board, and only controlled the tv volume by hdmi-cec. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos