Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liswardle

TV brand not recognized at initial setup

I'm trying to set up my Roku but it's telling me my entry (TV brand) is not recognized. I have an Emerson TV. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

56 REPLIES 56
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV brand not recognized at initial setup

@Liswardle-

This is when setting the remote up to control tv power and volume, the step that comes after pairing your remote to your Roku?  That just means it didn't find the remote control codes for your tv in its database.  Our resident remote expert @Tivoburkee will probably be along with some suggestions on this.

Meanwhile, any tv with an HDMI port to which you can connect the Roku should be able to display programming via Roku once it establishes a network connection.  The power and volume/mute buttons won't do anything until the remote gets set up for your set (you'll need to use the TV's remote for them for now) but the rest of the buttons should work to control the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@Liswardle 

If it's an Emerson from the last 10 years the only other brand to share its code is Sylvania. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
tomscot2
Channel Surfer

I just replaced a Streaming Stick + Model 3810X with a Streaming Stick 4K Model 3820R. The previous model connected instantly with the Dynex TV I have to control On/Off and Volume. Not only does the new one NOT automatically connect to the TV, but the model search database does not show ANY model TV. If I type in LG, I get the message cannot find TV band database. Nother else works either.

This is so disappointing as I only stream and have no need for the TV remote other than On/Off & Volume control.

0 Kudos
renojim

@tomscot2, this has been going on for some users for a while now.  I think it's being looked into.  At least one person reported that eventually the search started working.  If you haven't completed the setup other than TV control then finish it and then check for updates under Settings->System->System update and restart your Roku from Settings->System->System restart.  Try to set up the remote again from Settings->Remotes & devices->Remotes->Enhanced Voice Remote->Set up remote for TV control.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
tomscot2
Channel Surfer

It turns out that I believe that the inability to access the TV Brand database was probably a function of very poor <1 mbs internet connection. I could stream, albeit with lower resolution, but not access the database, 

When I moved the device to another location with higher download speed, it worked well. 

0 Kudos
Tomwp1116

This happened to me, too. Restarting my Roku in the system settings fixed the issue. 

0 Kudos
MattS16
Reel Rookie

Hi @Tivoburkee , I am trying to program my Roku to control my BEA TV and Roku doesn’t have that brand in their database. Do you (or anyone) know what TV brand in their system shares the same codes? Thanks!

0 Kudos
rahim

I set up three Rokus in the last few days, on the same model of TV. On two of them, I was able to search/browse the list of TV brands. But on the third one, the list was empty, and search returned no results.

What didn't work: system update, settings -> advanced -> restart

What DID work: reset to factory settings, and start setup from scratch

0 Kudos
Damob24

I have the same issue with my Sandstrom Tv, not being on the list for pairing my remote? 

0 Kudos