Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ksillman05
Streaming Star

Re: Roku remote keeps losing tv power & volume controls

Have you updated/reinstalled the firmware in the secret menu yet?

0 Kudos
dotZero
Channel Surfer

yes i have. I have the most current firmware. Swapping out for the other remote (same model) worked. Which is strange but at this point. It works so even though this isn't resolved I found a solution that works for me.

0 Kudos
DanielSiegel
Reel Rookie

I have had this same issue for at least a year.

I have 3 rechargeable pro remotes, a Roku 4K+ streaming stick and an LG 65 OLED TV.

I previously had the same issue with an LG 55 OLED TV and other Roku non-pro remotes.

There is never any issue with Roku functions - just the TV power and volume controls (up, down and mute), which work intermittently.  I cannot detect a pattern, but the issue occurs frequently across all of the remotes.  And the TV power and volume controls either all work together or none of them works. 

It does appear that the IR signals from the Roku remote (relating to TV power and volume) are intermittently not being sent.  Given that it occurs so frequently, it is surprising that Roku cannot reproduce this issue and either offer a fix or a workaround (other than having to use the separate TV remote).

Would appreciate a direct response from Roku (other than asking for serial numbers and other irrelevant info, given how widespread this issue is).

0 Kudos
Ksillman05
Streaming Star

I think the only other option that has worked for me , was to buy a cheep Chinese knockoff roku remote from amazon for 12 bucks. The one i have on my Express is flawless and required zero pairing or setup for my LG tv. Not exactly ideal but when your dealing with a hack company what else can you do.

0 Kudos
DanielSiegel
Reel Rookie

I think I may have just found the answer (which was in a previous post on this Forum -- dated 11-9-22 at 3:32 PM.  It referenced a "secret" menu and gave instructions for what appears to be a firmware update to the Roku remote itself (not the Roku device).  The process was very quick - under a minute.

I tried it on all 3 of my Roku Pro rechargeable remotes, and they all started working (ie, controlling the TV power and volume functions).  Only time will tell if this is a permanent fix to this frequent intermittent problem.

0 Kudos
Ksillman05
Streaming Star

It worked for me. Also changed the LG id to Goldstar

0 Kudos
dotZero
Channel Surfer

thanks Daniel, I did see that and tried. It was not successful. RemoteFwElk4190.bin is the latest update I have

0 Kudos
pholagoo
Channel Surfer

*Insert WalterWhitelaughingincrawlspace.gif*  Both funny and frustrating to see that this problem has returned.  I had been living with it since June/July, but then sometime in February it seemed that Roku had sorted the problem out on their end.  Now it's late March and it's happening all over again.  Roku Support, maybe you could look at the old thread to see if there's some common denominator.  Maybe you could fix this like...permanently?  Or is this our "reward" for loyalty?  One month out of the year we get to experience a working product?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @pholagoo,

Thanks for getting in contact. 

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Please be advised that we are currently aware of the issue and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely. We'd like to forward your details to the team to look into this.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

We prioritize resolving this as soon as possible, and we ask that you bear with us as we manage this issue.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
pholagoo
Channel Surfer

@RokuNimfa-C 

Living Room TV - Samsung UN55TU8000

Roku Model: 3810X, Serial: YH00G4548276, Device ID: 2130CG548276, OS: 11.5.0 Build 4312-50

Tracker ID: 76-128-840.  Steps to reproduce: Pressing volume, mute, or power button.  Happens 75% of the time.

Bedroom TV - LG 43LM5700

Roku Model: 3800X, Serial: YF007K471576, Device ID: CT3917471576, OS: 11.5.0 Build 6040-55

Tracker ID: 76-128-843.  Steps to reproduce: Pressing volume, mute, or power button.  Happens 75% of the time.

0 Kudos