Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gshinks

Roku remote doesn't work at hotel.

Jump to solution

I visit this particular hotel twice a year for work and each time I bring my Roku stick. Also each time I wrestle with getting the remote to work. If I restart the Roku it works for less than a minute before it becomes near unresponsive. I say "near" because if I spam any of the buttons it'll eventually register. I was convinced it was the remote so I purchased a new one and had the exact same issue. I'm convinced something's interfering with the signal, but can't imagine what. I've removed the batteries from the TV remote in case that was it but no luck.  I've repaired the remote several times... It takes a long time, appears to work, but again only for a very short time.  I use this device at home with zero issues. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote doesn't work at hotel.

Jump to solution

Hi @Gshinks, we appreciate you reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We understand your Roku voice remote keeps disconnecting, and we'd be happy to help you fix your Roku remote.

Before we proceed, kindly provide us with additional details such as follows:

• Is this the remote that came with this device? If not, kindly specify what specific remote this is. You may also check our support article to learn how to identify your Roku remote
  • When did you start having this issue? Can you see blinking lights when you press random buttons on your remote?

In addition, please be advised that sudden fluctuations in your network connection could unpair your physical remote from your device. This might be why you can only turn off your TV, as it only works via infrared (IR).

In this case, kindly try to pair your Roku Voice Remote to your Roku Streaming Stick again by following the steps below:

If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash, to put your voice remote into pairing mode.

For additional information and steps, see our support article on how to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you still have any questions.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote doesn't work at hotel.

Jump to solution

Hi @Gshinks, we appreciate you reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We understand your Roku voice remote keeps disconnecting, and we'd be happy to help you fix your Roku remote.

Before we proceed, kindly provide us with additional details such as follows:

• Is this the remote that came with this device? If not, kindly specify what specific remote this is. You may also check our support article to learn how to identify your Roku remote
  • When did you start having this issue? Can you see blinking lights when you press random buttons on your remote?

In addition, please be advised that sudden fluctuations in your network connection could unpair your physical remote from your device. This might be why you can only turn off your TV, as it only works via infrared (IR).

In this case, kindly try to pair your Roku Voice Remote to your Roku Streaming Stick again by following the steps below:

If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash, to put your voice remote into pairing mode.

For additional information and steps, see our support article on how to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you still have any questions.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.