Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hintysen1

Phantom voice command request happens every night - with a twist!

Jump to solution

Hello,

This has been happening for eight months now on my living room Roku Ultra. Watching at night, regardless of the app, at some point in the evening (more on that later), I'll hear a chirp and then a bubble will open on the top right of my screen that says "Thinking..."

It appears the Roku Ultra is waiting for a voice command when in almost all cases I'm not even holding or touching the remote! I don't use the voice command feature on Roku. Note that I do have an Alexa sitting next to the Roku and I do use that for weather, lights and to listen to Sirius XM.

Here is the spooky thing: The time this happens each night has been changing. And I finally had the revelation that when this happens always matches right up with the official time of "Sunset" in my area! So it was kicking in at about 8:20 p.m. Now it's right around 7:30 p.m.

What could be causing this? (By the way I have two other Roku Ultras in the house and they don't have this problem.) Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Phantom voice command request happens every night - with a twist!

Jump to solution

Hello, @Hintysen1, thank you for reporting this issue to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having an issue with your Roku voice remote. At some point, it uses a Roku voice feature, and there's no need to worry. We're here to assist you with this.

To start with, we recommend you try resetting your Roku remote by pressing and holding the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 20 secondsAfter doing so, pair your Roku remote again, try to utilize it, and check if the issue persists.

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello, @Hintysen1, thank you for reporting this issue to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having an issue with your Roku voice remote. At some point, it uses a Roku voice feature, and there's no need to worry. We're here to assist you with this.

To start with, we recommend you try resetting your Roku remote by pressing and holding the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 20 secondsAfter doing so, pair your Roku remote again, try to utilize it, and check if the issue persists.

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you don’t see “Listening” before “Thinking” then I don’t think it is the Roku voice remote. I think it is more likely that the Alexa is giving it a command.  Alexa has a feature to do stuff at sunset like reducing blue lighting.  Perhaps your roku has gotten tied to that?

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.