Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blackbornfn
Reel Rookie

My Roku remote will turn off my tv and my tv will speak to me but I can’t do anything else

I’ve tried resetting the Roku and the remote and downloading the app. When I use the app it can’t locate my Roku and when I use anything else it just won’t do anything but turn off the tv. I’ve replaced the battery’s, tried a different remote reset the roku and tried to repair to remote to no avail. How do I fix this? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: My Roku remote will turn off my tv and my tv will speak to me but I can’t do anything else

@Blackbornfn What Roku device do you have?  Did the Roku remote ever work for this device?  Turning the TV on/off and changing volume on the TV are completly different functions than controlling a Roku device.  Your remote is not paired to your Roku remote.  Look at the following information. 

https://support.roku.com/article/360011621473

0 Kudos
Blackbornfn
Reel Rookie

Re: My Roku remote will turn off my tv and my tv will speak to me but I can’t do anything else

When I say, I can control the volume and turn off the TV I’m doing that with my Roku remote. I don’t know what type of Roku I have. It looks like a flash drive and it says model: WROO1. I know it’s not paired I’ve tried pairing it multiple times. I think there’s something else wrong with it.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Blackbornfn-

The WR001 is the Long Range WiFi receiver that is built into a nodule on the USB power cable supplied with the Streaming Stick models 3810 and 3811. 

The remote for Streaming Sticks is really two remotes in one housing.  It controls several TV functions (power, volume, mute) via direct-line-of-sight infrared beams from the remote to the TV.  It controls the Roku over point-anywhere WiFi directly to the Roku which is why the remote must be paired with the Roku.

This WR001 is an essential part of the Streaming Stick and the Roku cannot operate without it.  If the WR001 is missing or defective, the Roku will not be able to connect to your network or pair and communicate with its remote.  These are the only Roku units using this particular WiFi receiver cable (alter later models use a WR002), and should your WR001 be defective, replacement WR001s are no longer listed on the Roku website.

Paging Roku employees @RokuAustin, @RokuERey, @RokuMaryEF, and any other moderators to see if they can help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Blackbornfn. Thank you for reporting this issue to the Roku community!

Just like our Roku streaming expert @makaiguy said, the Long-Range WiFi receiver, known as WR001 or WR002, is important for your Roku streaming stick. If it's missing or not working correctly, your Roku device won't be able to connect to your network or communicate with its remote.

In order to assist you further with this issue, we would like to gather the following information:

You can also try some troubleshooting steps on how to fix your Roku voice remote to see if it helps.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.