Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paleogirl2003
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Remote Volume Problem

@RokuJohnB no one ever reached out, but I determined a setting on my sound bar seemed to be causing the issue with the remote not responding. 

It doesn't make sense that it only started happening with the remote after a few months, unless there was also a software update on your end that changed the behavior, but what I found is the remote wasn't waking up the sound bar unless the remote was plugged in. I found the auto sleep setting for the sound bar and disabled that so it's always on, and I haven't had the issue again. Just to reiterate, nothing about the sound bar changed to make it stop responding, I've had it for 8 years and never changed the settings. What did change was updates on the streaming stick. 

So pretty disappointing that I never heard from support as you promised and there was clearly a software bug involved.

0 Kudos
Paleogirl2003
Streaming Star

Well that didn't last long, the remote started doing it again and the sound bar settings remain the same

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @Paleogirl2003.

A separate email will be sent to you regarding this matter, as we have already checked with our Support team. In the meantime, we appreciate you bearing with us.

Let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with or create a new thread for different concerns. 

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mrswhit9
Channel Surfer

Every other Roku Voice Remote I've had has worked great. This model is a lemon - it's defective and Roku should be doing something about it. You have to push the volume control buttons extremely hard to get the function to work, and even then, it doesn't work every time. I've still got my old Roku Voice Remote, and its volume buttons still work every time. I was only replacing it because the battery cover is loose, and we have to tape it to keep the battery cover in place. I don't know what Roku changed with this new model, but the volume buttons are defective. It's not a pairing issue because when you've pushed the buttons hard enough, the volume does go up and down. The volume buttons are defective. Buyer beware - read the reviews. There are many people complaining of the same issue.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mrswhit9,

Welcome, and thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused you. That's not what we aim for. Please check out this support article on how to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

Please keep us posted on how it works.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GladBear
Channel Surfer

Oddly the erratic volume control I wrote about in July fixed itself eventually. But tonight I changed batteries and same darn thing happened again!  Volume control (when touched) runs up to loudest setting. When turning it down, it goes all the way to zero.

I’ve troubleshooted everything you folks say to do.  
Disconnected Roku after 30 seconds plugged in again. Inserted fresh batteries, re-paired device.
clearly this has something to do with inserting new batteries since it’s exactly what happened before.

#4KExpress #remotevolume

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @GladBear,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your Roku remote's volume issue. Please try to restart your system from Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to further assist you.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mrswhit9
Channel Surfer

Hello Eunice L,

I performed the steps you listed below and completed a system restart. This action had no effect on the problem with the remote control volume buttons. You still have to press the volume button extremely hard to get the volume to turn louder or softer. I have two of these new remotes. I bought one to replace a remote with a broken battery cover, and got the second remote when I bought a new Roku Streaming Stick 4K. Both remotes have the same problem with the poorly functioning volume button. And my old remotes still work perfectly when changing the volume.

Kind regards,

Mrswhit9

0 Kudos
Mrswhit9
Channel Surfer

Hello Eunice L,

I performed the steps you listed below and completed a system restart. This action had no effect on the problem with the remote control volume buttons. You still have to press the volume button extremely hard to get the volume to turn louder or softer. I have two of these new remotes. I bought one to replace a remote with a broken battery cover, and got the second remote when I bought a new Roku Streaming Stick 4K. Both remotes have the same problem with the poorly functioning volume button. And my old remotes still work perfectly when changing the volume.

Kind regards,

Mrswhit9

0 Kudos
GladBear
Channel Surfer

I restarted the system this afternoon.  Problem still exists.  I wish Roku would quit giving us the runaround.  We all know how to troubleshoot— and our problems continue.  Time for Roku to admit there’s a design flaw in their enhanced remotes.