Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Remote Volume Problem

Thanks for the added information, @Mrswhit9.

No worries. We have a Support article to help you troubleshoot your remote. Refer to the links provided below:

How to fix your Roku remote

Why is my Roku remote not controlling the power and volume on my TV

Please let us know if this doesn't resolve your remote issue, and we'll go from there. We'll be anticipating your response!

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mrswhit9
Channel Surfer

Hi RokuCarly,

Thanks for the remote help articles but those articles are all written to address issues with getting the voice remote programmed to be able to control your tv's power and volume. And the remote issue that so many of us are describing, is not a problem with turning the tv off and on, and the volume up and down (when the volume button works). 

The problem we are discussing is that with these latest models of the voice remote controls, you have to push the volume button really hard to get it to work. And even pushing hard, it doesn't always work. The volume button itself is defective - not working properly.

My old voice remote still works like a charm. But the two new voice remotes both have the same issue, where the volume button is defective.

regards,

Mrswhit9 

0 Kudos
Br0wnSugar

Also been having the same issue on 2 separate devices for years. I've had to replace both my parent's remotes multiple times. Twice in one year even. The volume buttons just simply stop working. The remotes are absolute junk. Also, they could, and should put them on the face of the remote instead of the app shortcut buttons and have them be normal buttons like the directional one, but then they would probably lose money off of how many replacement remotes are being bought.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for your response, @Mrswhit9 and @Br0wnSugar.

We're sincerely sorry for this experience. Please send us a PM here at the Roku Community, as we may need personal data to resolve this concern. Also, while in the process of having this remote issue fixed, you can try to utilize our Roku app remote feature as an alternative remote. Just download the app and connect it to the same network as your Roku device.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
james760

Hi JHart, It sounds like you're experiencing a recurring issue with the volume and mute buttons on your Roku remotes over time. While it's unusual for only these specific buttons to malfunction, it could be due to frequent use causing wear and tear. Another possibility is a software glitch or interference with the TV's IR sensor. To isolate the issue, try using the remote with another Roku device or TV, if available. If the problem persists across devices, it might be a design flaw or batch issue with the Roku Voice Remote Pro. Consider reaching out to Roku's customer support for further assistance or potential replacements.
0 Kudos
Mrswhit9
Channel Surfer

1. The problem with the volume buttons not functioning is regarding two brand new voice remotes - model RC833. This is not an issue with long term use of an older remote 

2. The problem is that you must press the volume button extremely hard to get it to work. There is no issue with the mute button.

3. There is no issue with interference or a glitch, or setup, because when you do press the volume button extremely hard it does work (sometimes). And both older voice remotes work without issue.

4. I've used Roku systems for 8+ years and never had any problems with the remotes until these new remotes. These new remotes were recemtly purchased. One I purchased separately, and one I got with my new Roku Streaming Stick 4K. 

5. I've followed the steps to pair and unpair the remotes, and to setup the remotes, and this does not resolve the problem with the volume button.

6. It is clearly a design flaw with the new Roku Voice Remote Pro. You can see on the Roku website, and on Amazon reviews, that my complaint is just one of many 100s of others with the exact same issue with the volume button on the new Roku Voice Remote Pro 

6. I am using old Roku remotes now, and their volume buttoms functions perfectly. My old Roku Voice Remotes are model RC399. My new Roku Voice Remote Pros, with the non-functioning volume buttons are model RC833.

7. I believe that the problem is a design flaw or bad production batch issue with the Roku Voice Remote Pro, like you suggested. I will contact Roku's customer support for further assistance / potential replacements.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Mrswhit9
Channel Surfer

11/20/23 Update:

I contacted Roku Customer Service as suggested, and they were able to quickly resolve the issue. It was a batch production issue in which the case was too small to allow the volume button to work properly. Customer Service is replacing my two Roku Voice Remote Pros with the non functioning volume buttons.

Thank you Roku!! 

Paleogirl2003
Streaming Star

They replaced my remote and it's working well so far, will keep an eye on it since the other one worked for a few months at first too. 

Only con is the new one has buttons I don't use. Wish they would just make them all configurable without logos. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.