Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patrice1

Remote randomly scrolling around it won’t lock in.

I can’t get my remote to type in a password for one of my sign in streaming services.  It just keeps scrolling around.  It won’t lock into a letters or symbols so I can enter my password. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote randomly scrolling around it won’t lock in.

@Patrice1-

This doesn't work for everybody, but some people with your problem have eliminated the problem by restarting the Roku. (Note that if yours is a Roku TV with "Fast start" enabled, turning it off and back on just puts it into and out of a standby state and does NOT give you a complete restart.)

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the "System restart" option under "Settings > System > Power" or if not there, under "Settings > System".

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can try restarting by pulling the power plug to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Lesliem

Same issue here. Continously scrolling and flipping through channels we don't get. Changed batteries on remotes, unplugged for 30+ minutes, cables secure, flashing bluish light sometimes purple light. This is hardly "happy streaming"! We have a remote express 3930x and according to their website it was updated to OS 12. Have they intentionally changed some versions to make them obsolete to get us to buy new remotes?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Lesliem,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with the Roku remote since it keeps scrolling and flipping through the channels that you wanted to choose. Help is here. Did you try to restart the Roku device? If the issue still persists, can you please provide the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos