Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krawfok
Reel Rookie

Pairing Old TV with Roku 4 k streaming

Jump to solution

I have an old Sigmac TV and can’t pair the remote from a Roku 4k streaming stick.  In settings, I get to the screen where it says “can you hear music” - I answer yes.  It says trying code 1.   The music continues and the next screen says “can you still hear music” .  I answer yes and it says can’t pair Sigmac tv.

I’m on Dish right now the the Dish remote works fine for off/on & volume.

Any other options for me ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Pairing Old TV with Roku 4 k streaming

Jump to solution

Try Toshiba, Apex, and Changhong codes. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Jump to solution

I would try factory defaulting both devices. Try plugging in a speaker or soundbar. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Krawfok 

You don't actually pair the remote with the TV. Any documentation for "pairing" the remote only applies to the remote connecting to the Roku device. You can configure the remote to work with various TV code sets.

The difference means that if you have two (say) Sony TVs configured, you can take the same Roku remote to different TVs and it will control the volume and power, but not the different Roku.

The pairing between the remote and Roku is exactly that: that remote only works with that Roku device. With TV, the remote will work with any TV that uses the same code set.

I wouldn't want you to research trying to pair your remote to a TV and end up with instructions that causes it to no longer work with your Roku. That's why I'm pointing out the difference.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Krawfok
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Dukes, thanks for the reply and info.  So is there a way to enable my Roku remote to turn the tv off/on & control volume?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Krawfok 

Possibly. The best person to ask is @Tivoburkee who is the go-to guru for remotes on this forum. He's now been tagged, and may be able to offer some guidance.

In the meantime, the menu system allows you to attempt to configure the remote for the TV. You have to find the brand, then try the code sets it offers. Unfortunately, it won't allow you to key in a code; it has to toggle through it's pre-configured code sets.

If Sigmac shows for you, then you'll be fine. If not, you may need to find a compatible remote code. Sometimes, the codes for one brand will work on another. @Tivoburkee may have some insight on that.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Krawfok
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks again for the help.

I follow all the prompts from the Roku menu and am able to identify the Sigmac tv.

I get to the first screen where it says “can you hear music” - I answer yes.  It says trying code 1.   The music continues and the next screen says “can you still hear music” .  I answer yes and it says “can’t pair Sigmac tv” and it doesn’t doesn’t appear to try any more codes.

Hopefully Tivoburkee can provide a work around.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Try Toshiba, Apex, and Changhong codes. 

Edmund

Krawfok
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
YOU’RE THE BOMB!!!  Toshiba code worked !

Thanks so much.  The old tv has a new lease on life.
Stevek227

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with a Westinghouse TV. Are there alternative brands that will work?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@Stevek227 

When Westinghouse first reappeared, it used the Sony Tv code, later it used the Samsung tv code set. 

Edmund