Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote stopped working after software update

Hi @Yankeetraveler,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with your Roku remote. We're happy to assist you. Please check out this support article here on how to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FFD

12.5 results in no longer working with DISH remotes; even after executing all the alternate rituals such as system restarts and reprogramming.

These are not the only third party remotes adversely affected by 12.5

ROKU needs to issue a fix.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @FFD,

Thank you for keeping us posted!
If you're having trouble with your Dish remote, we suggest that you may need to contact your provider directly if you are having any issues and ask for additional assistance.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dadoo4u

Hi my name is Corby. I had the same problem. The answer is NOT replace the batteries. Yes check that they are good , but that won’t fix it. When you are pointing your remote, there is receiver that receives the signal from the remote. It may be a USB device, if so, unplug it and keep it unplugged for a slow 20 count. Make sure that the Roku receiver that you are pointing at with the remote, has the power to it unplugged for at least 20 seconds. Once you plug it back in after that, your remote should work properly. Good Luck!!

0 Kudos
number40Fan
Binge Watcher

I didn't read all of the replies, but if Directv remotes hasn't been brought up yet, they should. 

After this 12.5 update, my Directv remote stopped working with my Roku TCL TV.  How do I know it was the update...I have two of the same TVs.  The other was working fine with the Directv remote for over a week while the updated TV didn't.  Then, guess what?  The other TV updated yesterday and now the Directv remote no longer works with it.

Get this fixed Roku!!!

pete_c
Channel Surfer

My RokuTV is no longer working with my Direct TV remote after firmware update to 12.5.  This is very low on the WAF (wife acceptance factor).  What's up?  

SN: YN00TW836966

7105X

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

We deeply regret hearing about this issue you're having. Our team is currently looking into this concern. Would you mind trying to restart your device and re-pair the remote to check for any differences? If none works, please provide us with the following details:

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
newbees
Channel Surfer

Tried everything moderator mentioned in this thread.

I can only get these physical printed info from the sticks, the remote can't move so no other info can be shown.

Both of my Roku sticks stop working with the remote after the software upgrade.

Tried every procedure mentioned in this thread.

Model 3810X SN 21503E058377

Model 3810X SN 215035614037

0 Kudos
pete_c
Channel Surfer

@Nadee K

Remote is only working to provide the following information.

SN: YN00TW836966

ID: 7105X

Software version: 12.5

This is happened before when first purchased.  An upgrade to software fixed it.  That said I was going to return it.   I did unplug it from the Internet and it worked fine for the last few years.  

That the issue is occurring with many TCL Roku TV users tell me that it is a universal issue not related to my hardware.  Please downgrade the firmware or release an upgrade of firmware that works as before last upgrade.

0 Kudos
pete_c
Channel Surfer

For those using Direct TV remote control.  

1 - Reset Direct TV remote:

Press and hold the Select and mute buttons till the indicator blinks twice. Then enter the reset code 981 so the indicator light blinks 4 times. That’s all.

2 - Program your Direct TV remote for your TCL Roku TV.

Switch your Direct TV remote to TV mode.  Select and mute buttons till the indicator blinks twice.  Then look for TCL TV and code for it.  Program code and test its function.

Here that worked for me.  

Hardware utilized here: for TCL TV

Denon AVR model:  AVR-S760h (7.2 speakers set up)

Direct TV combo receiver / DVR

Internet via XFinity (my owned modem, Ruckus AP and PFSense Firewall).  Switches are managed L2/L3.

Other TVs utilize Amazon Firebox's and are dumb TVs.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.