Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMB2

Re: Remote stopped working after software update

Shame on you at Roku.  There obviously is a major flaw that led to this mess for those of us who have purchased and use Roku devices.  I’m an educated consumer but we are all obviously having issues and your “solutions” are not solving anything.  I can’t believe that I will need to spend the money to get the Geek Squad in to try to fix your error!

0 Kudos
pete_c
Channel Surfer

Rechecked here my Roku Remote.

Hardware here:

1 - Roku TV 55" - Roku remote (never use)

2 - Denon AVR - Denon remote (never use)

3 - DirectTV DVR - Direct TV remote - always used

4 - Kodi CoreElec - Remote - always used* (dual booting and also running Android (which I dislike).

Previously have used an external Roku Box and Amazon FireTV box and BlueRay player which I still have.

Using CEC.  

What happened to me on the update was that the DirectTV DVR remote quit working (power and volume).

I reprogrammed it and all was well.

Today checked functions of Roku Remote.  All functions work except that I need to press buttons more than once.

This issue did happen once before when Roku TV was first purchased.  That said at the time all remotes quit working and I was going to return TV for a refund.  Then another firmware upgrade fixed my issues and I kept television.  Initially my requests for support went to TCL and went back and forth between TCL and Roku.  

Next TV purchase will be a "dumb" TV - monitor with a built in tuner and nothing else.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @community users,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!
Kindly provide the information that was previously asked by @RokuJanadeeK.

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Frostwolf
Binge Watcher

I have no plans on purchasing any more Roku. My last two purchases have been a disappointment, a downgrade from previous generations.

Audio problems, remote problems that go unfixed and support doesn't give a hoot. Forced changes that affect applications negatively. 

My experience with Roku tech support is on par with Comcast and AT&T at the bottom of the barrel.

0 Kudos
SShook
Channel Surfer

Still experiencing this issue, but a new wrinkle has surfaced. Upon powering on, when the stick is connected to the network, no remote. If stick has no network connection, remote works fine. Re-establishing the network connection if already connected "wakes up" the remote and it works. 

Still tiresome that the overall issue is still unresolved, but wanted to mention this wrinkle for others with the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SShook,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than delighted to assist you further with this issue that you're having with the Roku remote. May we know what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far? What Roku device are you using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify)

Please also check out this support link here on how to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

We look forward to hearing from you soon, and we hope this helps.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SShook
Channel Surfer

Thanks John. All the answers to your question are in the thread already.  

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@SShook,

We've got your note!

I just wanted to know if this behavior happens every time or if it is sporadic. In addition, what is the serial number of the Roku device that is associated with it, and when did you start noticing this?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SShook
Channel Surfer

Hi ERey,

It happens every time. I noticed that reconnecting the network awakened the remote the day before I posted the message to that effect. Whether reconnecting worked previously, I couldn't say, as I hadn't tried it. 

To recap: Remote turns on tv and operates tv volume, but does not navigate Roku menus. Reconnecting to network (via Roku app on phone) - even if device shows as connected - wakes up remote to navigate Roku menus. 

I posted to share a possible workaround for others. 

S/N YF00FC738029

12.5.5 build 4174-55

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.