Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlleno
Streaming Star

My ultra remote stopped controlling my 5 year old Samsung tv

My ultra remote stopped controlling my 5 year old Samsung tv and I'm told that a non roku solution is the answer. Is it true?

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Of course not. My Samsung JU7100 is at least 8 years old, and my Ultra remote will still perform CEC functionality, including changing to the correct input and adjusting the AVR volume through the HDMI connection. If I connect the Roku directly to the TV and bypass the AVR, it will control the TV volume, but I don't use it that way. I'm not certain any of my other TVs with Rokus connected are more than four years old, but I have no doubt they will continue to work. 

Exactly what are you expecting the Roku remote to control on your TV? Again, it should only be able to control the TV volume, mute, and switching to the HDMI input the Roku is using when you press the home button. The only other possible control is the power button being able to turn the TV off (I think it will turn it on as well, but again I use CEC control for that). And my Ultra 4640 will still control my TV power if I try it. I believe the power button is only via IR, so it needs to know the TV codes for that. Nope, I take that back. I just turned my LG TV off using the Roku remote, and I wasn't even on the Roku screen. And it works when I hide the remote from the TV, so it's not using IR for that function either. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
dlleno
Streaming Star

That's what support just told me.  Yes I have a different year old tv that still works and i only expect volume and power which is what stopped working 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Nah, they're wrong. Make sure your CEC controls are still enabled on the Roku and the TV. On the Roku it's called One-touch play, and Samsung called it Anynet+. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

My 2008 TV works fine.  I don’t happen to use any of the power and volume stuff, though I remember that those did work when I first set it up – I just went back and re-set up the remote and lied to it so they would stop working.) 

I have heard of people losing their TV controls but I was under the impression that if they just setup the remote again, they would be back to working.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
dlleno
Streaming Star

Yea the opposite happened to me.  It stopped working and so I did the set up thing and went through all 50 codes (the music didn't stop).  One rep shipped out a new remote (give credit where credit is due) but that didn't work either.   Various reps have said that the system lies and to accept code 2 or even code 3 but I've tried all of them without success.   I have three Samsung tvs in the house and those remotes work but don't control volume on the 2018 model  q8fn 

The support rep even told me that my 2016 samsung would stop working after the next update 

0 Kudos
dlleno
Streaming Star

I just don't get it.  My harmony remote continues to work but all of a sudden roku refuses to control the volume of  my 2018 samsung  Q8FN TV.

Cec setup doesn't work either .  I've tried all 50 IR codes and none of them work either. And I've hooked up the roku directly to the TV and using the TV speaker.     Why on earth work ruku suddenly stop supplying control codes for a $3000 TV from 2018 that supports hd10+.  

I'm beginning to believe the support rep but what's crazy about this is that Samsung ir  codes are pretty stable and I can't figure out how ruku produced this behavior 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dlleno,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!
We understand you're having a problem with the Roku remote since it was unable to control your power and volume buttons. We're happy to assist you further. Please follow the steps below:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Remotes & Devices.
  4. Select Remote.
  5. Choose your voice remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control.
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.

Please let us know how it works.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dlleno
Streaming Star

Hi.  Thank you I am not having any issues with the set up process itself  I'm saying that the procedure does not work for my TV.  I understand the instructions.   They don't work.  There are 50 codes in the "samsung" category and none of them work.   I have tried all 50 codes and none of them work.  The roku remote has stopped working with my $3000 Samsung Q8FN TV from 2018.  The remote will not send the right code to control the volume.   The remote will not control the power.  I have followed the on screen menu.  None of the 50 codes will work.   I have tried all of them.   

None of the 50 codes will stop the music when I point the remote at the TV. There are no obstructions.   The original TV remote supplied by Samsung works.   The harmony remote works.  Only the roku remote will not control the TV volume and power. When i go through the on screen instructions there is no success .  The Roku remote will not send the right codes.   I have tried all 50 codes but none of them stop the music.   But the Samsung remote does.  I don't know any other way to say  this .  The roku remote has stopped controlling the volume and power of my Samsung Q8FN TV. Full stop.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dlleno,

Thank you for the update!
We will be more than happy to assist you with this problem that you're having with the Roku remote. Please try the steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Software Update.
  5. Select Check Now to manually check for updates.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.