Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
isivictor

Re: IR Remote - automatically goes to Sling and stays stuck on that screen

Jump to solution

Roku, when are you going to acknowledge your problem?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@isivictor

Thanks for the post.

Please see @RokuKariza-D's previous post and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bjbentsen
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku is doing the same thing! How do I fix it? And no the button is not stuck!! 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@bjbentsen, I know you think the button isn't stuck, but if it's going to Sling without you touching a button you can be 99.999999% sure it's your remote.  Try this -  take the batteries out of the remote.  Unplug the power from the Roku for a few seconds and plug it back in.  Does it go to Sling?  Put the batteries back in the remote.  Does it go to Sling?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bjbentsen
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I literally took the sling button OFF the remote, that’s how I know for 1000% it’s not stuck. I took batteries out, unplugged Roku, left unplugged for several hours and the second I put the batteries back in the remote it goes to sling

renojim

Jump to solution

@bjbentsen wrote:

... the second I put the batteries back in the remote it goes to sling

So it's clearly the remote.  I'd say you have two options - get a new remote or take that one apart and clean all the contacts thoroughly.

0 Kudos
teriG

Jump to solution

HELP!!!!  This is also happening to me as well.  I even purchased a new Roku express because I thought my Roku was broken.  The same thing is happening.  I can't even watch anything without it automatically switching to 'adding' Sling.  This is very frustrating.  Can you help?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@teriG

Thanks for the post.

Does your remote have a Sling quick launch button on your remote?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
EricSnyd11

Jump to solution

My Sharp Roku TV has been hijacked by Sling. Took batteries out of remote, unplugged for 24 hours, reset my modem, now using the Roku app as a remote and still goes to sling as soon as tv is turned on.

Should I buy a new tv? Need an answer to this. Sling cannot brick devices without consequence. This is not just a Roku player, it’s my Roku tv. Sling is stuck, I don’t even have the sling app. Please advise how to fix this.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@EricSnyd11 

It could be IR interference, the Sling app has IR signal that changes the roku tv to it, if something in your house just happens to use very similar IR command as the sling app does? It has happened since the dawn of IR remotes. Conflicts happen all the time. I have 5 hdmi switch whose number 1 key is the same as Roku tv options command, and the number 5 is the same as mute. 

Try black tapping up the roku tv IR sensor, so no IR commands can reach it, then use the cellphone roku app which doesn't use IR, it uses IP or the internet. See if you can control the roku without it going to Sling? Remotes are not the only thing to give off IR signals, lights do to? If you have an older computer with IR sensor, constantly giving off IR commands. 

Edmund

0 Kudos