Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No remote and not connected to wife

Jump to solution

The 3500 is, unfortunately, an outdated device. Many channel providers no longer support it, and Roku does not offer a replacement remote. You can sometimes find a used remote on eBay, but I caution that someone might say it's a remote for the 3500 but be wrong.

And honestly, for the price of a used, potentially unusable remote, you can get a brand new Roku Express 4K+ and have a far better working device. The Express 4K+ is on sale for $30, and you can usually pick one up at a local store for the same price. There's really no good reason to continue using something as old as the 3500 (released March 2014).

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
ilana

Roku westinghouse tv - remote lost, previously set up on different wifi network, given to me as gift

Jump to solution

I received the Roku westinghouse tv from a relative who had previously used the tv on their wifi network with the original roku remote. The remote has since been lost, and I now have the tv in my new apartment. I have a general tv remote that turns the tv on, but I can't use the remote to click on netflix or other streaming options, or to watch tv. The roku app won't work because I can't connect the tv to the wifi at my apartment. What do I need to do in order to use my roku tv? 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Re: Roku westinghouse tv - remote lost, previously set up on different wifi network, given to me as

Jump to solution

Westinghouse Roku tv use the same IR code set as the following Roku tv brands, Tcl. insignia, philips, haier, hitachi, jvc, sanyo, onn, magnavox, element, and rca. It doesn't work withn hisense or sharp roku tv remotes. 

You can also got to the local walmart or best buy and get Roku voice remote. It won't work striaght of the box, it has to be paired with it first. You don't need to go into the menu to do it, just unplug the power to the tv for a bit, plug it back in and after stops bouncing it will be in snuffer mode looking out for wifi remotes to pair. So start pressing the pairing button in the voice remote's battery compartment for 5 seconds and release allow it to communicate with each other. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

How to connect Roku device to the internet without remote

Jump to solution

I lost my roku remote so I have been using the app on my phone but I cannot connect to my roku device to connect it to the internet. what do I do to resolve this? 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Re: How to connect Roku device to the internet without remote

Jump to solution

The Roku app on a phone can only be used with Rokus that are already connected to your home network, so you have to use a method other than the Roku app when you need to set up a net connection.

FIRST METHOD

Normally a remote compatible with your Roku model is used to set up the Roku's net connection. This is by far the simplest method.

Report back with your Roku model (and model number if you have it) and we can advise you on which remote you need.

SECOND METHOD

You will need all of these:

-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a remote to set the Roku network connection up.

-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password that the Roku is currently configured to use.

-- Access to your current router's configuration panel. If you don't have this access, scroll down to the third method.

-- A phone or other mobile device with the Roku app (not TheRokuChannel app) installed.

If you have ALL of the above:

Go into your router's configuration panel and set your network to use the same network name (SSID) and password as your previous network.

Pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When it boots up it should connect to your reconfigured net.

Now when you connect your phone to this same net you should be able to use the Roku app to control your Roku once again.

THIRD METHOD

This method is more complicated, but if you really need it …

In addition to a Roku still configured for its prior network and knowledge of the prior network's SSID and password as listed for method two, you'll also need:

-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.

-- A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed.

If you have all these things, here's how you do it:

1) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.

2) After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When the Roku starts up it should connect to the hotspot and through the phone to the internet. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.

3) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.

4) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.

5) Using the app on the second device, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network, using the new network's SSID and password.

6) When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).

7) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

😎 The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

If you decide to try this, please report back how it worked.

If you use method two or three I'd still suggest acquiring a compatible remote to make it possible to recover much more easily if your Roku ever drops its network connection and needs to be reconnected.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
BA07

Lost remote/connect to wifi for Roku TV

Jump to solution

I lost my Roku remote months ago and have been using the remote app on my phone. Well.. my Roku tv randomly disconnected from the wifi and now I have no clue how to reconnect my tv to the wifi because the Roku app doesn’t allow that. How can I set up the wifi on my Roku tv without having the remote to the tv? 🥲

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: Lost remote/connect to wifi

Jump to solution

@BA07 

You can't.

Roku Voice Remotes ($20) are available at Walmart, Best Buy, Target, and other places. That remote works with Roku TV devices.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

meatman99

I have a Roku TV with no remote. and I am not connected to wifi

Jump to solution

I just moved and I don't have my remote. the ROKU tv is not connected to the internet. Can I buy a roku remote and connect it to the tv? or do I need a new tv..

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: I have a Roku TV with no remote. and I am not connected to wifi

Jump to solution

Hello @meatman99

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Please be advised that remotes for Roku TVs are manufactured directly by the TV manufacturer. We would recommend reaching out to the TV manufacturer's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: I have a Roku TV with no remote. and I am not connected to wifi

Jump to solution

@meatman99 

As an alternative, you can walk into Walmart, Best Buy, Target, or any similar place that carries Roku accessories and get a $20 Voice Remote (or a $30 Voice Remote Pro). While those are not the remotes that came with a Roku TV, they are compatible with all Roku TVs.

The suggestion by @RokuKariza-D will get you an exact (or current version) replacement of the TV's remote. But my suggestion gets you up and running today.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos