Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lillarrabee30
Reel Rookie

Lost remote and barley ever able to connect my roku app to the tv!

• having the hardest time using the roku app for a remote! It never wants to connect and it goes idle and won’t wake up! It’s a roku tv and I have 2 old other remotes but idk if I can pair them or not! They don’t have the volume on the side? I hate I can’t call and get direct support from roku! It’s super disappointing and frustrating! I’m sure my remote will turn up but I don’t want to go thru the holidays unable to watch my tv! Why is it so hard to stay connected? It’s the same wifi? I just don’t get it! I keep trying and trying but I’ve only used it like twice! It can work it just won’t! He’s not letting me do it. It will say wake this device and I try…I have turned tv off and phone and I’m just out of options someone plz help me! I need my Netflix! Haha thank you!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Lost remote and barley ever able to connect my roku app to the tv!

You have to get in touch with TV manufacturer, Roku only supplies UI for Roku tv's. And Roku device remotes won't work on Roku tvs, they use a different IR commands. 

Do you have old cable or directv remote laying around? They can be programmed for Roku tv's. Or any old universal remote, list the brand and model number I may be able to give you a code to control the Roku tv?

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@lillarrabee30 If the older Roku remotes have a pairing button they can most likely be paired to your TV.  However if they have no volume or power buttons they would not be able to turn on the TV or control the volume.  Once paired you could use to access Netflix select shows etc. .

0 Kudos
renojim

To add to @HDMIGuy suggestion of looking for a pairing button on the remote, also look for a little microphone button on the remote which would indicate a voice remote that you may be able to pair with your TV.  However, with no power button on the remote you'd have to revert to the caveman way of turning the TV on and off.

I don't want to get your hopes up because it's more likely that none of your remotes for older Roku devices will be able to control your TV.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Without tv power button, this remote doesn't have tv IR on board. It may have voice search with magnifying glass or the backwards Q symbol on it.  Anyways it only controlled the tv volume by hdmi-cec, not IR. With recent update the tv doesn't recognize it has cec device anymore. If you can't refresh cec devices in the tv settings, then try unplugging the power from both Roku and Tv a few times until the volume starts working again. 

Edmund

0 Kudos