Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bamamimi3
Binge Watcher

How can my volume control stop working AGAIN?

All of the sudden my volume control has quit working again. I've put fresh batteries, did a reset to no avail. Anyone else having issues?

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How can my volume control stop working AGAIN?

Hi @Bamamimi3

Thanks for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

We'd like to help. How long have you been using this remote, and is this the remote that came along with the device?

Let us know more about this so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dave-48
Reel Rookie

RC795 - rtn4244 and RC541 - rtn.4244
Volume randomly stops working.

During this time the remotes will also skip multiple times when scrolling left or right. 

I had three of the voice pro remotes. Threw the first one away thinking it was bad. These two I bough after and the both have the same issue. 
They will do this on my Panasonic, Sony, and insignia TVs. The IR remote that came with my TCL Roku TV works fine. 

sometimes switching the voice switch off and back on will fix it. Sometimes using voice commands followed by the volume buttons works. 
sometimes going back through the IR setup fixes it.

None of the fixes last. Sometimes they works for minute, and sometimes only seconds. 
the rechargeable remotes are the only ones I have issues with. The remotes that came with the 4 Roku ultras I have never have an IR volume issue. But they are old and have broken battery covers and worn buttons. 

hoping for a firmware update to fix!

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dave-48,

Thanks for getting in touch, and welcome to the Roku Community. When did you observe these changes? How long have you been using these remotes?

Let us know more about this so that we can further assist you.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rumblekat50
Channel Surfer

I am having the same problem. Got my new Roku remote (a replacement) around Sept. 18th. At that time everything worked except that when you pressed the Volume Up button, it would really scan upwards - way too much.  I just tried to adjust for that.  However, as the other poster stated, the volume control now no longer is working the majority of the time.  You can use it once, and then the next time you use it (during that same session), it doesn't work.  I either have to turn off my TV or reboot the Roku Ultra unit for it to start working again.  Also, as alluded to by previous poster, the left/right arrow keys will work erratically at times.  Sometimes they double or triple up.  Sometimes they don't work at all when you press them.  The new Roku update this week didn't make any difference at all.

I bought this unit from Amazon and evidently they only have a 30-day return policy on this remote.  However, Roku says they warranty it for a year.  How do I go about getting another remote?

Rumblekat50
Channel Surfer

If you read my message you will see WHEN I got the remote and the progression of the problems with it.  How do I get in touch with someone at Roku who can help me?

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Rumblekat50,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with your Roku remote. If the power and volume buttons on your remote have stopped working entirely, try to update your Roku device to the most recent software. To manually update your software:

1. Navigate to Settings.
  2. Select System.
  3. Select Software Update.
  4. Select Check now.

Confirm the dialogue box to proceed with the download and installation. Note that your Roku player will automatically download the latest software the next time it checks for updates. After the Roku player finishes restarting, if TV control has not been restored, setup your remote for TV control again by doing the following:

1. Navigate to Settings.
  2. Select Remotes & Devices.
  3. Select Remotes, followed by your remote.
  4. Select Set up remote for TV control.

You can also check out this support article on why your Roku voice remote is not controlling volume on your TV.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rumblekat50
Channel Surfer

For the benefit of the community  (since I already replied via email), updating the software is NOT the solution.  The problem existed BEFORE this week when my Roku Ultra was upgraded.  It's also been 3 days or so since that time and any other "updates" would have also taken place.  The problem persists.  As I said, this is not the solution.

Rumblekat50
Channel Surfer

I wanted to follow up with an additional bit of information I discovered.  Even though my rechargeable remote shows that it is charged to 99% (and once at 100%), when the volume quits working on the remote, if I plug in the charging cable, the volume starts working again.  Once removed it goes back to not working.  Obviously, there is something wrong with this thing.  How do I get it replaced?

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Rumblekat50,

Thanks for your update here in the Roku Community!
Kindly send us a private message so we'll be able to proceed with the necessary steps to address this. To message us, select the name of a user. Once redirected to the profile, select the option "Send this user a private message."
We look forward to you reaching out to us privately.
Regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos