Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jff1885
Reel Rookie

Voice Remote Draining Batteries

It seems like this is a common issue, but I haven't actually seen a solution from Roku in any of the other threads. I have a 4800X-Roku Ultra with a voice remote, which I purchased about a year ago. At first, the remote batteries would last for about 2-3 months before I had to replace them.

But starting about two months ago, batteries would only last for about 2 weeks. In someone else's post about this from a few weeks ago (which I can't find at the moment), a Roku employee responded that the engineers had fixed the problem, and all we needed to do was restart the system and re-pair the remote. So I put in new AA batteries, restarted my Roku, and re-paired the remote about two weeks ago. Today, I checked the battery level. and I'm already down to 30%.

Most of the threads I've seen on this, the Roku employees' responses don't actually offer any help. The one "solution" that I did see didn't actually do anything (see above). Is there any real fix for this? Or is it time to switch to a Fire Stick? I've been a loyal Roku user for years, but I've been seeing more and more technical issues over the last few years, and my patience is wearing thin.

0 Kudos
Wolbachc
Binge Watcher

Re: Do all Roku’s drain remote batteries so fast?

I’m just another customer with the same issue.  I’ve found no way to contact Roku.  I give them no stars and won’t be buying another Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Voice Remote Draining Batteries

Hello @jff1885

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The remote battery drain issue requires help from our Support team. Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be viewed by navigating to Settings > System > About.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Cioppatm

I am having the same problem. I have to replace the batteries in my steaming stick + remote every 2-3 days. Is there a fix for this, or can I get a remote that doesn’t drain the batteries so quickly?

My device info is:

model #: 3810x
software: 10.0.0.4209
device ID: 213092749364 
serial#: YH002Y749364

0 Kudos
jff1885
Reel Rookie

Ah, okay, got it. Sorry I got a little snippy in my post, and thank you for the help!

Serial number is: X01000047MEDS

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@jff1885

I apologize for the delay in response.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
mcobrien51
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R Danny, sent you my serial number a while ago. Since, the remote has died 3 more times. This is insane. I can’t return so now what? Please have someone contact me. This is the worst customer service I have experienced. What is this system? There’s no one to call or email?

0 Kudos
nice3eleven
Reel Rookie

There is a way to talk to ROKU. I did and they sent me a new remote for every effected unit and they have worked well so far... I was EXTREMELY skeptical that new remotes would fix the problem, but i got them plugged them in and have been using them for 2 weeks now without having to replace the batteries, whereas before i was changing them every couple days... So, this is just a couple week update, but the problem seems to be solved somehow after getting these new remotes. I wanted to post an update because so many people are having this issue and it bothered me a lot. Thanks

mcobrien51
Reel Rookie

Thank you! So who do I call? How do I get sent a new remote? Posting on this forum doesn’t seem to work. Please post the number, thank you!

0 Kudos
Choppy
Binge Watcher

Calling their customer service will do no good, the number is only for sales not any technical issues

they say this forum is the only place to request help for customer service

i,m replacing my Roku with a Apple tv unit and will never purchase any Roku product again

0 Kudos