Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Imreal
Reel Rookie

Re: Can I disable the lower 4 buttons on the Stick remote? = Yes

Thank you. That is a lot to do. It is so annoying. 

0 Kudos
Larry79
Reel Rookie

Re: Can I disable the lower 4 buttons on the Stick remote?

I pulled them out with a pair of sharp nosed pliers.  The buttons are just thick pads that sit on top of plastic push buttons on the circuit board.  They are not wired to the circuit board.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Larry79 wrote:

I pulled them out with a pair of sharp nosed pliers.  The buttons are just thick pads that sit on top of plastic push buttons on the circuit board.  They are not wired to the circuit board.

That doesn't disable the buttons. Just makes them a bit more difficult to hit by mistake, and that might be all one needs. Just note that you've left space for dirt/debris to enter the remote, and could (eventually) cause issues with the other buttons. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Larry79
Reel Rookie

I pulled them out with a pair of sharp nosed pliers.  The buttons are just thick pads that sit on top of plastic push buttons on the circuit board.  They are not wired to the circuit board. However is does leave 4 holes where the buttons were.  I covered this area with a piece of black duck tape wrapped around the remote.  Not elegant but effective.  No more unwanted surprises when you bump the remote.

Graff

I have several streaming devices and if I look hard enough I can find something wrong with each of the remotes. Heck, if I had such a mindset I could find something wrong with almost anything, there's too much of that these days. Concentrate on the important things in your life and you'll be much happier.

0 Kudos
Justy74
Reel Rookie

I cut the buttons off flush with the remote body. Roku ultra game remote is pretty touchy and easy to trigger a shortcut button.

Tivoburkee

Instead of cutting up your remote, get aftermarket rubber cover, the ones that have cutouts for all the keys like this:

IMG_20220705_213555071.jpg

The buttons are slightly sunken below the cover, no accidently pressing of keys with covers like this on the remote. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
Maliska
Streaming Star

If you take the battery cover off and unscrew the four screws you can pop the remote open and get to the circuit board.

A piece of Scotch tape across the area of the circuit board where the buttons would press prevents the buttons from making contact and this solves the problem without make holes in your remote.

Just be careful because the arrow buttons must go back in the same position they came out.

0 Kudos
KCinID
Channel Surfer

I cut them out. Such a stupid design flaw, I don’t know a single person who likes or uses those buttons 

atc98092

It's not a design "flaw". It's a source of revenue for Roku, selling those buttons to the various companies. That's why they can't be disabled or reprogrammed, because that company has paid for those buttons. And yes, some people actually use those buttons. If one subscribes to any of those services, then the button has value for the user. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos