Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pronator
Channel Surfer

Re: Can I disable the lower 4 buttons on the Stick remote?

I came up with a better solution, actually 2 better solutions.  I prefer the black shiny look of the epoxy over the gray mottled look of the epoxy putty.  But both solve the problem of accidental partner button switching.

If you try this, be aware that it's messy work, and do put something sturdy over the back of the button holes while you fill them.  I pushed the putty so hard it dislodged the electrical tape I was using and I had to chisel it down after it dried.

roku-remote-bakeoff.jpg

RXB
Reel Rookie

It would have not been so bad if they had left like a 1/2 inch between the regular buttons and the advertised buttons, but I think their intention was to make you click them by accident and end up purchasing something. It's so stupidly obvious. 

Also, they could've put some glow in the dark type paint on the control buttons too to make things helpful, but like I said, it's intentional. I used to recommend Roku to everyone, but this makes me question their putting the customer first. I hope they read these comments and change it.

0 Kudos
RXB
Reel Rookie

Niiiiice!!!!

0 Kudos

I’m literally getting rid of Roku because of these buttons.

0 Kudos
JimL
Streaming Star

When you find something better, please share.   I wouldn't get rid of Roku because of the buttons though, since they now confirm if you really want to leave the channel you're on to go to whichever button you accidentally pushed.  I'm now only using Roku TV live and that's where I see this.  Admittedly, not accidentally hitting the buttons does take a lot of practice.

Getting on my soapbox, I would like to find something better than the Roku TV live since I despise the swearing in the commercial shown on a few channels, such as the Mysterious Worlds channel, but the powers at Roku must enjoy filth.  Besides, it's not like they have any support staff left that can fix anything broken.  Look how long it's been since favorites worked.  Ay suggestions for live TV channels would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
rattlehead

actually "sickening" is a perfect word to describe their rokus greed

its not "a remote" its millions of remotes. i have the same issue. the buttons are sensitive and sometimes, actually most times i pick up the remote while lying in bed, in the dark....i hit sling or netwoke and whatever im watching is interrupted. it is wasted time....a lot of wasted time. maybe you enjoy wasting time but i dont.

theres no way the three people in this  thread and myself are the only people experiencing this... greedy people are sickening. and so are people who cant understand that massive electronics manufacturers sell more than one unit. "its only a remote" yea not quite. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

What are you talking about, greed? Have you looked at almost every remote that comes with an smart TV or streaming device? Other than the Apple TV, virtually every single one has a Netflix button. The last LG TV I bought has Netflix, Prime Video and Disney+ buttons on them. Absolutely none of them allow you to reprogram the buttons. And this isn't something new. I have a Sony Blu Ray player that's over ten years old that has a Netflix button on it. No, it can't be reprogrammed.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.