Manufacturer support & warranty resources

Find Roku TV support and resources for troubleshooting, setup, and repair information. Contact your Roku TV manufacturer for more help or browse our forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IMBatman2

Roku Turning TV On Randomly

Jump to solution

I'm dealing with the same (having to unplug the Roku or deal with the TV coming on randomly throughout the day. This is a problem with my newer Roku device, which I purchased after my last Roku device continually posted an on-screen message that it was overheating. It would be really nice to have one that simply works the way its supposed to.  Please figure out the issue, Roku! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Turning TV On Randomly

Jump to solution

@Ajq wrote:

Why would I need to go back to home instead of just powering down?

The Roku player never turns off, unless you are unplugging or otherwise removing power. If you simply turn the TV off while the Roku is streaming, the Roku does not automatically stop. The streaming content can turn your TV back on (it's something that can happen via the CEC protocol). So by always going to the home screen you stop any streaming and the Roku won't send a signal to the TV to power back on.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @IMBatman2,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your Roku device that randomly turns on. We'd like to know more about it so we can further assist you. Are you making sure you're back on the home screen after finishing what you're watching to secure the Roku device that is no longer streaming? Furthermore, are you keeping your physical remote out of reach, and do you have a Roku mobile app? 

Please make sure that you go back to Home after streaming. Your physical remote should also be out of reach to prevent anyone from accidentally touching the buttons to turn it on, and if you have a Roku mobile app, please ensure that it is closed to avoid it from unintentionally turning on your Roku device.

Kindly keep us informed, and we will be here to help you.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ajq

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Ajq wrote:

The Roku player never turns off, unless you are unplugging or otherwise removing power. If you simply turn the TV off while the Roku is streaming, the Roku does not automatically stop. The streaming content can turn your TV back on (it's something that can happen via the CEC protocol). So by always going to the home screen you stop any streaming and the Roku won't send a signal to the TV to power back on.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
stopczewski
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with my 24" Insignia Roku TV. Yes, I return to Home before powering it off on the remote. I do not have any Roku apps on any of my devices, and the remote for the TV is well out of reach. I did a factory reset of the entire system. Still happening.

This has only been happening since the beginning of this year (2024). Perhaps an update to the system has a "Bug"? 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.