Lights & power

Add Roku lights and smart plugs to your smart home. Learn how it works with virtual assistants, get troubleshooting tips, and find resources from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WillH699
Channel Surfer

bought 3 new Roku Smart Blub Color SE bulbs and one of them seems to be bricked, what do i do

Jump to solution

i bought 3 new Roku Smart Bulb Color SE bulbs today at Walmart, after installing all 3 of them 2 of them got set up just fine but the last one decided it wouldn't come back on after a firmware update, and i have since tried it in different light sockets, did the flip the switch 3 times factory reset, and nothing, i think the only thing i haven't tried is resetting router and i'm not doing that for just fixing this light, so is this bulb a bad bulb or just a connection error with my router that only a router reset can fix. i'm leaning towards it being bricked and most likely needing to be sent to back to Walmart to get a different bulb of the same kind or my money back and by the bulb elsewhere. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WillH699
Channel Surfer

Re: bought 3 new Roku Smart Blub Color SE bulbs and one of them seems to be bricked, what do i do

Jump to solution

final update: 
i decided to take it back to Walmart, i was gonna get it exchanged for another one but they didn't have anymore in stock so i got a refund so i can buy another one at a later time either at Walmart in store or online instead. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
WillH699
Channel Surfer

Re: bought 3 new Roku Smart Blub Color SE bulbs and one of them seems to be bricked, what do i do

Jump to solution

to follow up, so far i have tried to do the following things:

1. tired the light in a different socket from the only i originally put it in. 
2. i tried turning it on and off 3 time to factory reset and nothing. 
3. i tried factory resetting in a different socket. 

i have yet to try to leave it out longer than a day to see if it can reset itself or reset my internet router to see if it was the router blocking it. 

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@WillH699 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with that 3rd Roku Smart Bulb SE.

It sounds like you've put some effort into troubleshooting the issue. One of which was doing the reset on the bulb (turning it off & on 3x). I know you have done this already but I would try doing a hard reset one more time and see if that fixes the issues. I've seen this exact issue occur and on the 3rd and sometime 4th try with the hard re-set the bulb issue is fixed.

So yeah I would try doing a hard reset 1 or 2 more times.

You’ll have to set up the bulb on the Roku Smart Home app like it’s a brand new again but if it works it should be worth it.

Oh one last thing, try to have the bulb as close to your wireless router as possible when you're doing it. This could be helpful as well.

Other individuals may have other ideas for you as well.  Best of luck and keep us posted.

WillH699
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

i tried that several times, never works, i even just tried it again, still nothing, lights not coming on. leaning told this one might be defective and needs to be just sent back to Walmart to get either my money back or a replacement. 

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@WillH699 

Yeah that's rough. That might be the case. Their are Streaming Experts on the forum that might have some additional recommendations that you may want to try before bringing back to Walmart. But yeah that's super frustrating. You obviously tried hard to get your bulbs to work again.

WillH699
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

ok, now add on to the things i tried and failed at getting it working:

resetting the router and it too didn't help, so yeah, this looks to be bricked and the only solution might be refund/exchange. maybe i should look at contacting Roku customer support first. 

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@WillH699 

well, the few times I’ve had to contact customer support. I’ve always had a good  experience,, so I hope the same happens for you. I use Roku light bulbs in my house and I’ve never had any issue so it’s unfortunate to hear that you’re having trouble I’m with yours. I wish you all the best and I’m sure they will help you the best they can

WillH699
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

another update, still haven't heard back from customer support (most likely due to it being the weekend and a holiday weekend at that too), did leave it out of the socket for 12 plus hours, still no luck, so yeah, i give up, this light's 100% bricked and going back to Walmart to try to get a exchange for other bulb of the same kind or get my money back when i can get a chance unless i wait too long past the point that i can't take it back no more. 

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@WillH699 

Sorry to hear things continue to not be working. With it being the holiday weekend I'm sure that's having an effect of hearing from customer support. I don't think you said when you purchased the Roku Smart Bulbs SE but in the mean time you could maybe take a quick look on Walmarts website about there policies regarding issues like this.

I've never worked at Walmart but I've heard they're pretty understanding. If it got to the point where you brought back the bulb and explained what happened and had proof of purchase and within the time Walmart says they'll take returns I would think they would replace it.

I don't work for Walmart or Roku so I can't say for certain what Walmart will say or what customer support at Roku would recommend if you wait to speak with them.

Keep us posted. I have a feeling in the end things will work out. My fingers are crossed!

0 Kudos
WillH699
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

final update: 
i decided to take it back to Walmart, i was gonna get it exchanged for another one but they didn't have anymore in stock so i got a refund so i can buy another one at a later time either at Walmart in store or online instead. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.