Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

[SOLVED] Hulu channel closed captions is out of sync

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thank you for raising this concern within the Roku Community.

We've received reports regarding an issue with the Closed Captioning feature in the Hulu channel. 

Update 6/6:

We believe this issue has been resolved

Previous Update:

This issue is currently under Investigation. 

To expedite our investigation process, we kindly request the following details from affected users:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version (Found in Settings > System > About).
  • Channel version/build: Select the channel on the Home screen and press the * button to find this information.
  • Tracker ID: When encountering the issue, press the Home button five times and the Back button five times. Please provide us with the Tracker ID displayed.
  • Please cite specific content title examples you have tried to play on the Hulu Channel experiencing an issue.

Your cooperation in providing this information will greatly assist our engineering team in identifying and resolving the issue. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Captions on Hulu are out of sync

Jump to solution

Hello, Community users!

Great news, everyone! We believe that the issue with closed captions on the Hulu channel has been fixed for most users.

Still Having Trouble?

If you're still experiencing problems with closed captions on Hulu, here are your next steps:

1. Start a new thread: If restarting doesn't help, create a new thread detailing the issue you're facing. This will help us provide you with the most relevant troubleshooting steps.
  2. Send a private message (PM): Feel free to send me a PM for more personalized assistance.

Thank You!

We appreciate your patience and everyone who reported the issue. This thread is now closed and marked as solved.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
83 REPLIES 83

Ultra closed captions out of sync

Jump to solution

I am trying to watch a show (killing kind) on Hulu.  Suddenly episode 5, clised captions are at least a minute ahead of the program.  Software is up to date and I have done a system restart - suggestions?

myklbee

Re: Ultra closed captions out of sync

Jump to solution

I've observed this same behavior since yesterday.  Seems to be Hulu only,  but across 3 different Roku devices, all 3 are different models.  Anecdotally, it seems to be Hulu based, and not based on which device you have.  I haven't yet tried other devices (iOS, web, etc) in an attempt to validate.

Endora
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with Hulu. The subtitles for every show are completely out of sync. I have tried turning subtitles off, restarting the show, restarting the app, and reinstalling the app. No improvement. The Hulu app works fine on my iPad, so this seems to be specific to the Roku version of the Hulu app. 

Dmorris
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue of cc being way out of sync. Tried powering off, turning cc off and back on, backing out of episode and coming back in. Nothing has helped.  The cc seems to be way out of sync. The last update show 5.25.24 so I assume it's a bug from the last update. Roku please fix the out of sync cc issue. 

1000000825.jpg

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!

We want to investigate this issue you had with the Roku Ultra further since the closed captioning is not syncing. Can you please provide the following information below?

• Is this happening on all channels and contents, or is it isolated? (Specify)
  • When did the issue start?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dmorris
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for looking into this issue. After testing a few different channels it seems to only be happening on the Hulu all contents. 

I first noticed the issue yesterday on 6.1.24 though I don't turn the TV on every day. If it didn't occur on 6.1.24 it wouldve had to be between 5.29.24 to 6.1.24 as that wouldve been the last time I can say for certain that I used Hulu prior to 6.1.24 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

We appreciate the additional information that you have provided to us, @Dmorris!

After attempting the troubleshooting steps and videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developers themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can reach the Hulu Support here.

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please keep us posted.

Regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
LZ222

Jump to solution

We have been watching JUSTIFIED on HULU - a couple episodes every night. Recently the CC (closed captioning) is out of sync. When a commercial comes on, the CC appears to continue with the program being streamed; no CC for the commercial itself. After the commercial the CC is probably ahead of the program by the length of the commercial - minute, minute and a half. I've exited out and come back (resume program) to no avail. Also tried turning CC off and back on. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, this does not happen on Firestick, I have to Roku's and two Firesticks.  Only on Roku and only some shows on Hulu.  Other apps are ok.  

Thank you in advance for your help 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.