Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snuh
Channel Surfer

"Speech recognition" setting not disabling

Every time I uncheck the box to disable "Speech recognition" under the Voice option in the Privacy settings, a warning comes up saying that I'm unable to update the setting. Even though I can physically uncheck the box after closing the warning window, it resets to a checked box once I leave the Voice settings.

35 REPLIES 35
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: "Speech recognition" setting not disabling

Hi @snuh,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • How long has the issue been occurring?
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
snuh
Channel Surfer

We have a Express+ and 4K Stick that are updated every day. But this has been a known bug according to one of your software engineers who posts on the Roku forum on Reddit, who mentioned that after someone created a post in December regarding this same problem. That engineer stated in a followup that this isn't a firmware fix but part of a separately delivered system library, and that the rollout of said library was postponed until after the holidays. Since it's well after the holidays, I'm looking into the new estimated time of said rollout as nothing has changed on my end. And how would I know about this rollout occurring since the lingo the engineer used made it sound like it's not part of the standard updates?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @snuh,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community.

I'm sorry that you've had to experience this inconvenience and we want to do everything we can to assist you. And we'd like to look into this further. Could you provide the requested information posted above by @RokuMary-F?

This will help us understand the situation better. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
snuh
Channel Surfer

We have two Rokus in the house. Roku #1:

Model: 3820X - Streaming Stick 4K

S/N: X017003P0VSC

ID: S08Y425P0VSC

Version 11.5.0 build 4312-CU

I've known about the issue since December. It could've existed prior but I wouldn't know.

Tracker ID: SC-062-125

When the Speech Recognition box is unchecked under the Voice option in the Privacy settings, a popup window comes up saying "Cannot update setting. This setting couldn't be changed at this time. Please check your network connection and try again later." Once the window is closed and you leave and re-enter the Voice options, the check in the box appears again.

Roku #2:

3910RW - Roku Express+

S/N: YG00HY158863

ID: C5392H158863

Version 11.5.0 Build 4312-51

Tracker ID: 63-062-135

FYI the Express+ will be replaced with another 3820X Streaming Stick once this privacy issue is fixed.

johnherrington
Reel Rookie

Re: "Speech recognition" setting not '

I am dealing with the same issue on my Sharp 65" Roku TV. Neither Sharp TV support nor Roku support has successfully told me how to turn this off.  I just got off the phone with Roku, they said go to Settings, Network, Bandwidth saver,  and turn it off.  

I still have the speech recognition button automatically selecting on, but they said check it after a couple of hours????  

I seriously don't think this will do anything. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
johnherrington
Reel Rookie

Can't turn of speech recognition microphone, previously reported, no action from ROKU for weeks

I have asked multiple times how to turn off speech recognition microphone, but just get further run around and lies. 

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Can't turn of speech recognition microphone, previously reported, no action from ROKU for weeks

Hi @johnherrington,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with turning off the speech recognition microphone. To help us understand the situation better, could you please provide us with more information about the issue you are experiencing and the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far? 

We want to ensure that we help you further and resolve your concern.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
snuh
Channel Surfer

Re: Can't turn of speech recognition microphone, previously reported, no action from ROKU for weeks

It's the same issue I brought up in a thread I already created: https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/quot-Speech-recognition-quot-setting-not-dis...

John, it's been an issue since November (originally I saw a thread on Reddit back in December pertaining to this issue but have since found one dating back to the prior month). Three months with no solution. A layman would likely think three months to fix a checked box is pretty nutty yet here we are. They've known about it since at least December. The funny thing is that I bought and was going to give an upgraded 4K Roku as a Christmas gift, but it will not be accepted and used until all voice/microphone capabilities can be disabled. It's literally still sitting in a Christmas stocking.