Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark614
Channel Surfer

Roku Express 2024 update issue

I have a Roku Express that updated on 1/17/24. After the update loaded, it went to the opening screen, then went blank, and went back to the opening screen. It continues to do this and never goes to the Home Screen. All I see are the dancing letters. I’ve tried reseting It by unplugging the adapter, using the reset button and using the remote button sequence. I’ve also replaced my batteries in my remote and nothing is working. I have had the same exact set up for about two years with no problems. It all started after yesterday’s update. Any suggestions?

Model #3930x

SN: S008299SLXSD

Labels (1)
41 REPLIES 41
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express 2024 update issue

Assuming you're using a USB power adapter plugged into the wall and not the TV's USB port, I think your only option is a factory reset.

How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Mark614
Channel Surfer

I have tried resetting with no luck. 

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Mark614

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We acknowledge the issue you've encountered, and we'd like to assist further. By any means, have you performed a "factory reset" to your Roku device by pressing the reset button at the back of your Roku device for 20-30 seconds while it is on and the LED light blinks?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mark614
Channel Surfer

Yes. I have tried this multiple times. I’ve held the reset button for 5 seconds all the way up to 60 seconds. It just continues to return to the start screen with the dancing Roku letters. 

0 Kudos
Naiveatheart
Channel Surfer

Kash, 

I too have been impacted by the Jan 2024 update. It has rendered my tv useless. Factory reset, network reset, delete and redownload apps. No luck. YoutubeTV, HULU, DisneyPlus, Apple, Bravo. Nada. I cannot watch a single thing on my TCL Roku without the screen either going blank or the show playing 2-3 seconds of whatever the selected options is and then delivering an error message.

I sure hope Roku had more advice than a factory reset when their update is what’s made our devices non-operational. For those of us with a Roku TV the words “compensation” come to mind. 

ShanynP412
Reel Rookie

And now it has happened to me.  I wish Ruko would have sent an email letting it's user know there was an issue. I would have never updated. Not happy about this; My 3 year old isn't happy either..at all

Sallyjc
Channel Surfer

Has anyone received a solution for this pls ?

0 Kudos
TostiIJzer
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue, updated today and in a boot loop ever since. Tried factory resetting, different USB and HDMI cables, but nothing worked.

Hope they come up with a fix for this soon! 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

We appreciate you reaching out and welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate your troubleshooting efforts and apologize for any inconvenience.

Regarding this, we'll need support from the appropriate group and assistance from you. Please let us know the information below.

• Model and serial number of Roku devices.

We'll monitor it closely.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.