Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmacmil2
Streaming Star

Is it worth upgrading my 4660x Ultra to the latest version 4802?

Jump to solution

I just got a Dolby Vision capable TV but I don't have the DV level plan for either Netflix or Amazon video.  I do watch quite a few shows on Apple TV which are almost all in DV but Netflix is at least 50% of my streaming.  I also watch quite a few PBS shows which are all SDR.  I could use the TV app for Apple to get DV but it's not quite as convenient as the Roku.  I have heard differing opinions on whether or not DV is significantly better than HDR10.  So other than DV, what does the 4802 offer that my 4660 does not?  And if you watch DV shows, is it much better than HDR10?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Is it worth upgrading my 4660x Ultra to the latest version 4802?

Jump to solution

Hello! @lmacmil2,

Thanks for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your inquiry regarding upgrading your Roku Ultra to the latest version. We're pleased to assist.

The Roku Ultra 4802 Supports Dolby Vision at 4k60fps, HDR10/10+ and HLG, and 2G RAM, while the Roku Ultra 4660 Supports HDR10 at 4k UHD and 1G RAM. If you love to stream and are looking for the best streaming device we offer, Roku Ultra is definitely worth it. It’s our fastest and most powerful player ever, loaded with our best Wi-Fi (now with up to 50% more range), cinematic Dolby Vision® and Dolby Atmos, plus Bluetooth streaming.

To enjoy 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision entertainment, you’ll need a compatible TV and streaming channels. You’ll also need a Dolby Atmos compatible sound system to hear compatible entertainment in extraordinary sound.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @lmacmil2,

Thanks for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your inquiry regarding upgrading your Roku Ultra to the latest version. We're pleased to assist.

The Roku Ultra 4802 Supports Dolby Vision at 4k60fps, HDR10/10+ and HLG, and 2G RAM, while the Roku Ultra 4660 Supports HDR10 at 4k UHD and 1G RAM. If you love to stream and are looking for the best streaming device we offer, Roku Ultra is definitely worth it. It’s our fastest and most powerful player ever, loaded with our best Wi-Fi (now with up to 50% more range), cinematic Dolby Vision® and Dolby Atmos, plus Bluetooth streaming.

To enjoy 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision entertainment, you’ll need a compatible TV and streaming channels. You’ll also need a Dolby Atmos compatible sound system to hear compatible entertainment in extraordinary sound.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku changed to a new chipset starting with the Ultra 4800, the Realtek 13xx series. It provide a pretty good performance boost over the older ARM processors like yours has. Obviously, you get support for Dolby Vision, but you also get support for two other dynamic color modes: HDR10+ and HLG. The Ultra 480x also adds support for the AC4 audio codec, which isn't currently used much by streaming providers but is expected to increase in the future. It will also have much more channel storage space and more operational memory. I also find the WiFi on my 4800 is much faster than my older 46xx Ultras, and more than double the speed the Ethernet connection can provide.

You lose the SD Card slot, but with 4GB of channel storage there's really no need for it any longer. I can't say for certain, but I believe the new Ultra models have better Dolby Atmos audio support as well. 

Does DV look better than HDR10? It's really subjective, but I do think it's marginally better. But HLG also looks better than HDR10. I've never seen anything with HDR10+ so have no opinion on that. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.