Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elsc
Channel Surfer

Re: New bug in very latest update restricting powering device off

Glad to report that this method worked!

So it seems the ultra turning on has something to do with the screensaver. 

0 Kudos
dan671
Reel Rookie

Update for my ONKYO/Ultra based setup. I noted the discussion concerning turning off screen saver and tested that approach

With screen saver off, when I place my receiver in Standby(off) after using any source, cable box,DVD,etc, the ultra will turn on on its own. However now that the screen saver is disabled it will turn off after the 20 power off delay. 
It still appears that since the software update, if the ultra senses power/signal on the HDMI it assomes it should turn on and it takes the 20 min of inactivity before it turns off. 

0 Kudos
elsc
Channel Surfer

It seems that turning off the screensaver method works for having the unit turn off after 20 min of inactivity. I noticed the light came on and stayed on even when no one had used the unit for hours. 

0 Kudos
KShane

Re: Indicator light stays on after 11.5 update

Quick Solution: DISABLE the Screensaver.

Why?/More Detail: I had two problems with the Ultra that other devices did not have. 1. The power light stayed on (constant). 2. The Screensaver never would "engage". 

I first started following the forum "Re: Roku Ultra - Screensaver stopped working". One suggestion was to Disable the new 11.5 Feature for Power->Power Saving. Because people were experiencing opposite desired effects from toggling things. I thought through what each problem was telling me and decided to try my configuration. 

I wanted the Power Saving feature ENABLED and I wanted the Bandwidth Saver ENABLED. I DISABLED the Screensaver. All of it worked. Light went out after TV turned off (using the default time). Streaming was stopped by the default time. When the TV turns on, first a blank screen appears with the settings that HDMI is becoming active, Time, etc. and after pressing a button on the remote, the home Screen appears. 

Hope this is helpful for both forums.

0 Kudos
elsc
Channel Surfer

I am back to unchecking the power saver box. By disabling the screensaver, unit does turn off after 20 min but hours later the light comes back on even when no one used it.

After unchecking the power saver box, the unit turns off after 20 min and more than an hour later light has not come on. I am using the tv to watch programs from my cable box for a few hours now and light from the ultra has not come on.

0 Kudos
killweav
Binge Watcher

It might be important to define what we want Roku to do when it comes to "sleep" mode. As I understand it there are a few competing scenarios that play into how the Roku handles a low power or "sleep" state.

The CPU has a low power state that can be triggered manually by the user or automatically by the settings of the software.

Manual trigger events:
User initiating power down of connected devices, which send CEC command to ROKU to power down. Roku is not designed to actually "turn off" so instead the CPU enters a low power state. We see this when the light turns off.

Automatic trigger events:
Scenario 1:
After a user-selected period of inactivity while not playing video, the screensaver is activated. (I've noticed some animated screensavers such as the fish tank do not put CPU into low power save mode, but the Roku digital clock does, which is the screensaver I'm referring to.) In this case, the display of TV is still on, and light on Roku goes out, but digital clock still floats about.

Scenario 2:
After 20 minutes of inactivity when not playing video, as defined by the new setting in 11.5 OS update, the CPU goes into low-power state AND initiates CEC command for connected devices to also turn off.

Some scenarios involve CEC commands and others don't. It seems that there are competing and conflicting (or overlapping) events that cause one event to put Roku into low power mode, and another event to tell it exit low power mode.

To make my life easier, I do not user the always on voice listening on the Roku remote PRO. I have that switch turned off. So it's now always listening for me to say "hey roku."

My desired low power mode based on personal preference is to just go to sleep when I push the power button on the Remote, which initiates an IR command to my Samsung TV to turn off,  which in turn sends CEC signals to soundbar and Roku and they both "turn off."

Having the screensaver disabled for me has so far consistently worked. I turn off at night, wake up and check it, and light remains off. 

Power down after 20 minutes is enabled, I am using this to replace the screensaver. Should I ever leave Roku unattended not playing video I'd rather it shut everything off after 20 minutes. I do not need the screensaver as this is more power efficient.

I'm sure I'm missing some things and probably got some things wrong. I do hope it helps though. This is just a work around. Roku (should they be reviewing this thread at all) does need to fix this.

0 Kudos
Cosmo69

Ultra sleep mode not working. Roku ultra model 4802x SW 11.5.0 build 4235-c2 issue Id -98-464-696 reported. Please advise

0 Kudos
killweav
Binge Watcher

Power light was on this morning. Bummer. Was so confident. Now confused all over again. This time I turned off the ill-fated new feature of power off after 20 minutes. I re-enabled the screensaver for 10 minutes and I guess we will see what happens over the course of the next several days. Apparently what seems to work gets broken again. Ugh.... smh.

0 Kudos
jba387

I have the same issue.

Roku 4801RW

Serial #X01000CG64RR

Version 11.5.0 build 4235-DE

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware Community users have reported that turning off the 20 minute power saving mode resolves their problem. We would recommend trying this troubleshooting step to see if that helps the issue you are experiencing.

Keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos