Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: FHD 32" Live TV with no Wifi

Jump to solution

@Blowenblu, if you never have Wi-Fi, you could just set up the TV as a "dumb" TV by bypassing the network setup when you initially set it up.  Your Vizio may have the same option, but you might have to factory reset it.

For a Roku TV, it won't bug you about not having a network connection.  I think it would just show "Not connected" instead of the clock in the upper right corner of the Home Screen.  However, to set up a Roku TV as a "smart" TV you need a network connection.  As I said, you can just bypass that part of the setup and use it as a regular TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Blowenblu
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So if I set up wifi when I'm setting in my driveway at home, there wouldn't be an issue when I'm at a campground connected to campground cable with no wifi? If won't constantly be looking for wifi and popping up on the screen? 

0 Kudos
C0rs3ts
Reel Rookie

TCL Roku TV Losing Network

Jump to solution

Hello! So recently I went to this forum to vent about how my tv will not change my wallpaper no matter what I do! But I wanted to share the many other problems I have with this tv, that I would love to resolve(: 

-can’t play anything but YouTube and Netflix, like one would assume when you go to apps you’d see the large variety that we hard working people pay for, yet there’s nothing but Netflix and YouTube. Google told me that it’s because I’m outside of the us or canada. IM IN THE US? THIS TV HAS NEVER LEFT THIS HOUSE? 

- YouTube is constantly buffering, and no it’s not my WiFi, I will go on any other devise in the house including my other tvs and everything runs so smoothly! since I only have Netflix and YouTube, not having one option is severely frustrating. 

-when I turn on my tv it will take no less then 20 minutes for it to realize that I have internet WHEN I KNOW I DO. it will run through this silly little game where it pretends I’m not connected. WHEN I AM. 

-and again my theme/wallpaper is unable to change. 

i believe having this tv to be a privilege, but at this point I’m considering turning people away from Roku as a whole. This “support group” never actually helps and there is no direct email that I can take my matters. PLEASE fix this. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: my TCL Roku has been the worst purchase in my life.

Jump to solution

@C0rs3ts, first things first.  If you're in the US and you're only seeing Youtube and Netflix either something is wrong with you're Roku account or you're using a VPN.  If you're using a VPN, you're going to have problems.  If you're not, something went wrong when you set up your Roku account.  It's all to easy to set up an account in the wrong region through no fault of your own.  If you're not using a VPN, I'd suggest closing your current Roku account, factory resetting your TV, and starting over.  Your experience is not normal.

How to close your Roku® account | Official Roku Support

How to factory reset your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Only if you tried to launch an app.  If you just wanted to watch OTA channels, it shouldn't be a problem.  You can even have it power on to the last antenna channel watched and you won't even see any of the apps that you wouldn't be able to access anyway.

If worse came to worse (and I don't think it would), you could always factory reset it when your at a campground and just go through the setup telling it you don't have Internet service.  Just make sure you have a working physical remote any time you factory reset a Roku device.

0 Kudos
C0rs3ts
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That’s the thing! I have factory reset my tv OVER 10 times. I deleted every vpn from my phone and even factory reset my phone so I could connect it again. Yet the problem is still occurring after the mannnnyyyy times I have tried. 

0 Kudos
Blowenblu
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Okay, thanks for all the good info. Sounds like what I'm looking for. 🙂

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. No worries! We're here to help you connect to your network connection successfully.

Please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided above post by @RokuTakashi. If the issue persists after troubleshooting your TV, kindly provide us with he following details so we can investigate thoroughly. 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

We'll be looking forward to your responses.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @C0rs3ts 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand the issue you have experienced with your Roku TV, and we're here to assist you in resolving the problem at hand. Upon seeing your post, you mentioned that your Roku TV does not play the apps as expected since it buffers due to the network connection. For this matter, let's try to perform troubleshooting steps to address the issue.

Restart your modem

• To restart your router, check the instructions from your ISP or router vendor. In some cases, you can simply unplug it and plug it back in, and in other cases it may require pressing a reset button on the device.

Connect to a different bandwidth on your network

• Roku TVs are dual-band, which means they can connect to both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. You can try to connect to each of your networks. For further information related to this, you can contact your ISP to successfully connect to your network.

Connect to a mobile hotspot or a different network

• If available, you can try to connect to a different network or a mobile hotspot to see if you're able to access apps without buffering and network connection issues on your Roku TV. If it works seamlessly, the issue might be rooted in your network and not the TV.

We hope you find this information helpful, and let us know on what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dhamum2

Having to check connection?

Jump to solution

Anyone else have to remind their Hisense Roku TV that it is in fact connected to the internet by checking connection. My TV sometimes will not load anything until I do it, then as soon as I check the connection it works perfectly fine.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.