Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: MAC address zeros

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

... visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

That page[1] makes the stunning claim: "The download and installation are done automatically without ever interrupting your use of the Roku player."

Does anyone at Roku ever worry about the way customers are led to believe things that aren't true? These things are starting to look like a pattern that could be viewed as actionable. (I.e., regulators and such getting involved). I.e., the all-zeroes problem has existed for years (happens during the update, prevents update). The affected customer is told to see a statement that informs them problems such as this don't exist?

These things always seem to work to Roku's advantage, not the customers'. It's easier (for Roku) not to fix a known problem. And, it's easier (for Roku) to contribute to customer perceptions that everything is supposed to work right, Roku expects everything to, etc. They don't find out until after purchase that it's not as stated.

It seems like, at some point, someone would be concerned with being misled (feeling cheated, lied to in a business transaction), etc. Not just a bad review of a product, but rising to a higher level of people getting involved to protect customers from predation.

[1] Archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20210125181142/https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208755668

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Itattii

Re: Wireless MAC all zeros after firmware update reboot

My husband and I tried the USB method and nothing. 

Itattii

We have 3 Roku TVs and only one of them is having problems with the MAC  address. It was working fine last night and this morning it wasn’t working. 

Skynet
Binge Watcher

There is an issue with the grounding. I know this seems to be something that I could not believe myself. I have followed this and it fixed the problem permanently

https://www.instructables.com/Fix-Bad-Mac-Address-on-ROKU-TV/

Make sure you attach the ground to any frame metal. Also please do this at your own risk and disconnect power before you do any electrical work. This also will void your warranty 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@Skynet , That's a great discovery! (Roku should hire you.). I have my doubts about the average person being able to solder that without overheating the component beneath. (It requires the right soldering iron, etc.).

I wanted to mention: if someone wants to try this fix, there are no-heat solder compounds that should work (especially for a stationary tv, little vibration/stress). Google for "no heat solder electronics" or "liquid solder". Some of these products may be for plumbing. Be sure it's for electronics, or has conductivity.

I don't think the wire needs to be very large either. Just thin 24ga. It's not going to carry large current. (Thick wire would be ok too. I'm just saying that if someone had thin wire, they don't need to go out and buy battery cables or anything. 🙂 Thin wire would probably be easier to work with, route it to where it's going. Heavy wire could stress the solder joint.).

I'm skeptical this is going to work for everyone with the all-zeros mac addr problem. There's a lot of update-induced Roku problems (green screen, perma-reboot loop) where one solution works for some people, but not others. If this does work for for most people, I think class-action litigation should be more in people's vocabulary. This problem has existed for years. It's inconceivable that you could discover it, but Roku couldn't. The net effect is: Roku's been selling a buggy hardware design for all this time, uncaring. "Buyer beware" is certainly the best route (and people should be leaving reviews on all the retail sites). But, there's a point where things look deliberately predatory (irresponsible). I'd say this (and some others) rise to that level.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Bruh_22

MAC connection 00:00:00:00:00:00

RCA roku tv was working fine turned it off for the night and wouldn't connect so i unplugged it still didnt work then i did a factory rest still didnt work did another one later that day still wouldn't work but the wifi connected to everything else so im still confused. 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: MAC connection 00:00:00:00:00:00

The mac add zeroes problem has existed for years. Roku doesn't care. There are threads about it

That last one is interesting because he says it's a Roku Wifi design problem, requiring a ground wire. I'm skeptical of that because I don't understand how people fix it by taking their tv to a different wifi access point. 

I think the official suggestion is to connect using a different wifi access point, or using an RJ45 network cable to the router. (You may be asked to provide details about your tv. But, that's a perfect waste of time. Roku knows enough about this -- for enough years -- to know what the problem is by now.). 

Worse comes to worse, you could use your Roku TV for antenna viewing only, and use an external streaming device connected to an HDMI port. That way you could still use your tv without the expense of buying a new one.

meshpa16
Reel Rookie

This is exactly what needs to be done. There is a bad ground on the wifi card. You can either locate the culprit and shore it up, or do what this article suggests, which is not really that hard.

I'm sure ROKU and the TV manufacturers are aware of this but they will continue to beat around the bush with their answer because otherwise, they would have to admit it's a hardware problem and potentially deal with recalls or otherwise be forced to pay for repairs.

If you know anything about troubleshooting bad grounds, you understand that intermittent issues are quite common and seemingly random.

mfitz23
Reel Rookie

I'm having same issue.  TCL ROKU 55S423. How can i fix?

0 Kudos
mfitz23
Reel Rookie

Sorry forgot to add my info:

Roku TV C110X

TCL Model: 55S423

serial number X00000MXG23E

software version 9.4.0 build 4207 -93

device ID S041D9DXG23E.

0 Kudos